Coop & Run Sizing???

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
I know I read somewhere about how much square footage is needed per chicken, but now I can't find it. Please forgive me if my post is redundant....

We have 27, 3-week old chicks, and will be building the coop and run soon. I would like to get 5 more birds in the future.

Can anyone suggest how large a coop/run we need to build, and how many nest boxes should be inside the coop?

We would like to free range the chickens when we are home and the weather is nice, but keep them in the coop/run the rest of the time. Thanx all!

Most people here would say "2-4 sq ft per chicken indoors (depending on whether you live somewhere that experiences long stretches of unpleasant weather) and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run."

These are MINIMUMS. Your chickens will be much happier with mroe space, and your management tasks will be much easier.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks Pat!!! Went to your site to check out coop articles because I'm starting to build. Excellent advice!
thumbsup.gif

4 sq ft minimum to max out health and prevent fighting. I did my run at 80 sq ft/bird because I have the room and because I want them to have a run that is as close to free range as possible. Can have living greens/grass that way too, which mine eat daily. Only possible if one has the space tho.

Quote:
I may expand on mine at some time, but not nearly that big.. Currently 8x16 for 12 birds.. Works out to 10 square foot per bird..

It didn't take them long at all to kill the grass.. If I can get 30 per bird, I'd be happy.

Back
Top Bottom