1. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    In process of building our outside coop and have a question regarding the coop run. What type of fence do you use? In our temp one(in garage), we just used chicken wire, but outside would like something a little bit stronger, We have foxes,coyotes out in the county plus some hawks.

I've seen some run that uses the fence with the welded wire, what size are you all using for the the 2 x 4 inch one?

thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry I can't be much of help. My chicken's night coop is just chicken wire and they don't have a fence. Only predators are coons and hawlks, but the birds are to big for the hawks now and I think I got the last coon here... (only 3 total that bothered me), Maybe someone else with more predators can help.

3. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I didn't think a chicken could be too big for a hawk. Thats good to know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would say it depends on the size of the hawk you're taking about. There's not a chicken alive that's too big for a red tailed hawk. It just kills them where they find them then eat dinner right there. At least this has been my experience.

As for the run, lots of folks on here use 2"x4" welded wire with 2' chicken wire around the bottom and wire coming out from the bottom for about 1' then covered with dirt to prevent anything from digging in. It's also wise to put the welded wire or chicken wire over the top if you have a serious preditor problem. Some just use deer netting over the top to keep raptors out, but a critter like a coon can climb the fence and go right through the netting. And if you have fox and coyote in your area you also have coon, possum, and God knows what else.

5. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    use hardware cloth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by