Coop Secure?

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
We recently bought a house with an acre and a half and decided we wanted to own chickens. Our back yard is mostly wooded, and the front is grass - I figured I’d keep the hens in the coop and run during the day, and let them free range when I’m with them. During the night they’d be locked in the coop.

We bought the one in the attached pics — what else do I need to do to keep it safe from predators? The coop is off the ground and has a wood floor. When they’re in the run, I will be able to see it from my office window, but still - I don’t want to lose any. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9A573CE3-01F2-4B58-992D-24C8581AB8DD.jpeg
    9A573CE3-01F2-4B58-992D-24C8581AB8DD.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 49
  • D046CED0-7DA7-4AEA-9306-E1FA12A31543.jpeg
    D046CED0-7DA7-4AEA-9306-E1FA12A31543.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 1B123D03-AAAB-46AF-A03F-255D419BB1F5.jpeg
    1B123D03-AAAB-46AF-A03F-255D419BB1F5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
We recently bought a house with an acre and a half and decided we wanted to own chickens. Our back yard is mostly wooded, and the front is grass - I figured I’d keep the hens in the coop and run during the day, and let them free range when I’m with them. During the night they’d be locked in the coop.

We bought the one in the attached pics — what else do I need to do to keep it safe from predators? The coop is off the ground and has a wood floor. When they’re in the run, I will be able to see it from my office window, but still - I don’t want to lose any. Thanks!
You pretty much just need netting on top of the run area and electric fencing so foxes can’t dig under!

:welcome :frowYou have been given some great advice. This might help.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators

I use electric wires around my coops and pens and my pens are all covered with good heavy duty netting and concrete under the gates. Eventually your birds will be discovered. Beware that when you free range, it's a risk you take. Lessons learned the hard way. You may go quite a long time but just once get distracted or even while your out with the birds a predator will strike. I have had it happen. Good luck and have fun...

I have a lot of birds and several coops and pens. Once the predators discover the electric wires I think the adults teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. I also have several game cameras on my property and most night when the predators roam here I see one on at least one of the cameras. I love my cameras. Now is the time of year where many predators are out looking for mates or feeding their young so may be out more during the day. Again good luck and have fun...
The electric wires that go around my coops and pens. It's not too pretty but works.
20210115_095548.jpg

A coyote out by my outer coops. It's been a bit foggy at night lately.
DSCF0001328 05.jpg

That is very helpful, thank you!! I never - ever - realized that there were so many predators to defend against! Raccoons? I thought they were just garbage can pests! I mean, the old saying “fox in the henhouse” was the only thing I was thinking about...but there are climbers and diggers and unlatchers too!? I appreciate everyone’s feedback!!!!

That is very helpful, thank you!! I never - ever - realized that there were so many predators to defend against! Raccoons? I thought they were just garbage can pests! I mean, the old saying “fox in the henhouse” was the only thing I was thinking about...but there are climbers and diggers and unlatchers too!? I appreciate everyone’s feedback!!!!
I've heard stories of raccoons that would stand on one side of a chicken run, so the chickens run to the other side--where another raccoon reaches through the fence to grab them. Apparently they have "teamwork" figured out :(

This is a big bobcat a little over a couple of months ago outside my chick/grow-out coop. I'm sure it knows there are electric wires around it too. I've seen it a couple of other times on my cameras. Everything likes chickens.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom