Uh oh?! Why scary?!
Because pre fab coops/runs are generally very poorly built. (THAT is why they are cheap.) Cheap materials that don't last, now where NEAR enough ventilation. If you are just looking for something to "get by" for a little while while you build something else. It would probably be fine. But not long term. It just won't last. It also isn't predator proof. Not with those latches. They also aren't big enough for the number of birds they claim. Unless you WANT to pack them in like sardines. The ramp is also really steep and you can't easily make less steep since space is so limited. (And reading the Q&A just makes me angry. LOL)

Last edited:
That run is NOT "predator proof". Raccoons have no problem opening latches like that. And where is the ventilation?
I planned on make alterations to the lock and making it more predator proof. Do you have a photo of an example of what a good coop/run looks like for 4 hens you could share?

I don't have a coop yet! I'm ordering it this week and will have it soon

Before you order anything, you need to be aware that almost all prefab coops claim wildly exaggerated numbers as to how many chicken they suit and some are entirely unsuited for chickens at all.

First rule of thumb: If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suitable for toy chickens. :D

The usual guidelines for each adult, standard-sized bird are:

4 square feet in the coop
10 square feet in the run
1 linear foot of roost
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

My break's over so I have to go, but look carefully at my coop page that I linked. That's a coop for 4 chickens. :)

Be very careful before you hit "BUY"....lots of bad coop designs out there.
Most prefabs are way to small with not enough ventilation.

This cannot be emphasized too much! :)

Before you order anything, you need to be aware that almost all prefab coops claim wildly exaggerated numbers as to how many chicken they suit and some are entirely unsuited for chickens at all.

First rule of thumb: If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suitable for toy chickens. :D

The usual guidelines for each adult, standard-sized bird are:

4 square feet in the coop
10 square feet in the run
1 linear foot of roost
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

My break's over so I have to go, but look carefully at my coop page that I linked. That's a coop for 4 chickens. :)

This cannot be emphasized too much! :)
Good to know! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom