Coop shape?

Naamahbengals

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2013
So I've seen lots of photos of coops with nice roost boxes and nesting areas you can access from outside, and then small runs attached (usually about 3ft high and maybe 5-10 ft long).

So I'm wondering.... how in the world do people with these low coop runs, catch their chickens? Without the whole flock flying out (if you open the top)? I can't see a way to reach in and grab a specific chicken while they are running around in something like that.

My own coop is 15ft long, 8ft wide and 7 ft high. I can walk around it nicely. But I need to build several smaller coops (I can't afford 2-3 more coops that big, it took a lot of materials) to separate roosters and their hens for specific breeding. But... I don't know. An enclosure that I can't walk into just seems really WEIRD to me, but I am used to Bengal housecats and Wolfdogs. How do you clean the run without them getting out? Where I need to put the small coops is on a big area of concrete under shade, so I can't just move it do a different patch of grass; I need to be able to shovel it clean, without all the chickens getting out. And building the whole thing off the ground will be a real hassle, because that's a lot of extra mesh for the floor that I would have to put in, etc.

Also - can the different coops share a mesh wall? Or will the roosters try and fight through it? I'm not bringing in a bunch of adult roos, but buying chicks or hatching eggs and then raising them up, so they will know each other before the hormones kick in. Or do I need to separate them with a solid wall?

Just trying to find good space-saving designs for multiple coops next to each other on concrete. Yes, that really IS the only extra spot I have to put them. Everything else is a 45 degree angle, with lush and probably toxic ground cover that the landowners say I can't pull out.
hmm.png

I've been wondering that myself. There is no way I would be able to get all of mine because I have a couple that are more skittish than others. Would love to hear how others do it with those low coop runs!

I'm definitely new here and to chicken raising, but I built a decent sized coop with a run that might give you an idea of what's possible when you have limited space and money!!! Made entirely out of "cull" lumber from Lowe's (I work there, so I did get an extra 10% off. But usually they try to sell cull lumber for 50-75% off of the package so you can get some stuff really cheap, plus they have coupons and offer a 10% military discount), I believe everything I used to build the coop came out to be about $75-100! If you already have wire or hinges laying around, you can really cut the cost!

Made with 6 4x4s, the final size is 4ft x 8ft and it's about 6ft high at the tallest point, but slants down to about 5.5ft for proper drainage off the roof. The left side has a full door that opens so you can get into the run. I'm short (5'3") so I can stand up in the run, I use this everyday since I have to catch my ducks since they can't use the ladder to go back in the coop
roll.png

This is the inside of the coop when it was still "under construction". Not much has changed since the picture was taken besides a few nesting boxes and now it's bedded with straw since it's so cold. It's a 4x4x4 box and has a small door cut into the left side so they can go in the run, it also has a lock for added security since I was paranoid when I first built the coop. I didn't know what all went bump in the night around here, so the whole coop is in lockdown at all times it seems :p Their poop falls down and makes for relatively easy cleaning. One thing I would suggest if you go a similar route, MAKE SURE that the run underneath the coop has a height higher than 2-2.5 feet. While it's not impossible, it's a small challenge to get a shovel/rake underneath to clean out all the poops. I've switched to the deep litter method (I think that's what it's called) so it doesn't matter too much but it's still a bit irritating if they happen to lay an egg in the back corner :p

This is the coop now. Not the most sightly thing ever, but it does the job!

Here's my flock. 1 rooster, 3 hens, 2 mallards (a drake and his girlfriend), and 2 Peking ducks! I think there's room for a few more, too.

I hope this helped at least somewhat. I love my setup, I wish I had more room because I'm ADDICTED. But it serves all purposes and everyone seems to enjoy it!

Catching them is fairly easy. I use a fishing net with a long handle. Just have a door you can reach in without them getting out.

I don't have those cleaning problems. One I can move and the other is my grow-out coop. It's elevated and has a wire floor. As long as the chicks are less than 12 weeks old, the poop falls through. Older than that, the poop starts sticking. I can't help you with that problem.

Will the roosters fight through the wire? Good question. I haven't been in exactly that situation but have been close. Sometimes the roosters ignore each other and sometimes there is a brief skirmish against the wire, especially when they first wake up but then they quit. It will depend on the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom