9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Ok journeyman,

My plan:

Americanas: 4-5 hens 1 roo
Barred Rock: 4-5 hens 1 roo
Silkies: 4-5 hens 1 roo

And thats what i plan to start with here... im partial to keeping them separated by breed so i dont get cross bred birds, but id be nice to keep em together instead of separate coops all over the yard... They are pure breeds and higher quality birds already so i hate to ruin that... then i can end up selling birds as better quality... and manage them better...

How big of coop do i need and how big of run do i need? Im thinking 4 sqft per bird in the run?

What features are excellent to have in a coop and what do you wish you had?

Do yall light birda up for longer days to keep them laying or keep them on natural light only?

Planning my coop build here... trying to figure out how im going to do it...

Sounds like you are planning on raising chicks, yes?

I'm going to go with this idea that you are ...

Are you going to raise the chicks with a broodie?

I would probably just build three separate coops ... With the runs abutting each other ... Since you are planning on chicks, you will need extra space for them as the numbers of your flock expand and contract ... I'd suggest a 5'X8' sized coop, of course a 8' square would better utilize 8' lumber, and chicken math! ;)

On a run I'd recommend 200 square feet, or more, per run ...

On the silkie coop you may just want to have a nesting box for each hen, as they will be broodie quite a lot! Then you don't need to bother moving them!

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation ... Both down low, and up high!

I wouldn't bother with extra lighting ...

Don't bother with chicken wire! Use 14 gauge welded wire for the run 1"X3", or electric netting, cover all the windows and vents in the coop with 1/4" or 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth

Sounds like you are planning on raising chicks, yes?

I'm going to go with this idea that you are ...

Are you going to raise the chicks with a broodie?

I would probably just build three separate coops ... With the runs abutting each other ... Since you are planning on chicks, you will need extra space for them as the numbers of your flock expand and contract ... I'd suggest a 5'X8' sized coop, of course a 8' square would better utilize 8' lumber, and chicken math! ;)

On a run I'd recommend 200 square feet, or more, per run ...

On the silkie coop you may just want to have a nesting box for each hen, as they will be broodie quite a lot! Then you don't need to bother moving them!

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation ... Both down low, and up high!

I wouldn't bother with extra lighting ...

Don't bother with chicken wire! Use 14 gauge welded wire for the run 1"X3", or electric netting, cover all the windows and vents in the coop with 1/4" or 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth

Yes ill raise chicks, i had a brooder, let someone borrow it and it got crushed by a kid learning to drive.... but ill build or buy another brooder to keep inside a chicken house...

If hens sat on eggs and chicks id let em be... but im used to quail and dont count on it haha!

Im thinking about electric wite close to the ground along the perimeter of it all to help keep coons, foxs and house cats etc etc at bay...

Normal average for inside the coop is 4 sq. ft. per bird, In the Run you want at least 10 sq. ft. per bird.

There are two ways to keep true to breed.
1) all birds of one breed are in their own coop and run.
2) roosters are separated from hens until you are ready to breed hens, at which point the appropriate rooster is put with the appropriate hen(s).

Both methods will keep your hatchlings true to breed.
Roosters will need to be kept individually since they will fight otherwise if you go with method number 2.

Putting all birds together, roosters and hens, will insure you have mixed breed birds.

We keep one breed for pure strain, we do that with the rooster, he has his own quarters and does not mingle with the hens unless we want chicks.

I don't plan on continuing this practice since we don't show or sell chickens or chicks. I will keep really good roosters just for making the best chicks possible but we are planning on a mixed flock for better egg production and since we aren't going to show, pure breeds are not necessary for us. Our flock is let out to free range while we are home and when we aren't home, they are in a large run that has cross hatched wires over the top for hawk and owl protection.

Last edited:
Ok journeyman,

My plan

How big of coop do i need and how big of run do i need? Im thinking 4 sqft per bird in the run?

What features are excellent to have in a coop and what do you wish you had?

Do yall light birda up for longer days to keep them laying or keep them on natural light only?

Planning my coop build here... trying to figure out how im going to do it...

The coop needs to be 4 sq.ft per bird . Your run needs to be8-10 sq.ft. Per bird.
I have 5 sq.ft. Per chicken in my coop and around 20-25 sq.ft per bird for my run
I use natural light but a lot of people put a light in their coop.

The only features I wish I had was better doors and a fan.

When building your coop little gaps between the wall and the roof are good sources of ventilation. Any gap over 1-2 inches I would put some wire mesh.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
If you go with the often suggested 4&10 square feet per bird (which in MY opinion is not enough!) ... You will need an additional grow out pen for chicks ...

Back
Top Bottom