Coop Size Concerns

I understand not wanting to hurt her feelings. :hugs

Your birds will need more room though.

Can you talk to her easily? If she is generally a sweet, easy to get along with person you may be able to explain it to her.

Tell her how you love the little coop but that it's going to be to small once they are grown.

I also understand tight budgets. That's one reason I suggested a hoop coop.

I have a hoop run on one of my coops. A hoop coop is a hoop run with one end covered for weather protection.

upload_2018-4-19_13-43-1.jpeg
upload_2018-4-19_13-43-1.jpeg

Last edited:
That coop should be fine, as long as they have plenty of space outdoors to run around during the day to do their chicken thing..... I see no problem. All the coop really is is just a bed for the night!

I'm new to chickens, but I've heard a lot of folks say their chickens won't go out in the snow (even cold hardy breeds). And WI gets plenty of snow!

That is true. Some won’t mind the snow, but a lot of chickens don’t want anything to do with it and will need a coop big enough to at least weather out a storm for a day or two.

If it was used for shelter, and not containment, it would work. Meaning, if you put it in the fenced area and don't shut them in the coop, it would probably work, they'll roost and lay in it just fine.

Put it under a Hoop Coop, tarp the hoop coop, and no need to hurt MIL's feelings.

I have a coop similar to OP's and a school I work with has three units. When my birds are confined to it all the time it holds a pair, usually a rooster and hen for breeding, just fine although it is too tight for more to stay in good feather. The school keeps 6 birds per unit, but they are released for most of each day using the inside mostly for egg laying and roosting. Space for roosting is a bit tight and nesting area is more than needed. Design does not seem to really take into account what the chickens do best with.

Back
Top Bottom