Coop size for 12 chickens??

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello! i currently have 7 chickens in a 4' x 6' (or 6.5' cant remember lol) they fit very comfortably and i have two roosts each about 6' long so 12' total roost space, they all usually stay close to each other so they take up maybe one roost at the most. they also have a huge run and yard that they are always in they are only in the coop at night to sleep, all other times they are outside.
i want to get more chickens maybe maybe 5 more, so i will have 12 total chickens. i am thinking of adding on to the coop another 6 feet, before i do that i want too get your input so i don't have to keep adding on. would 6 more feet be enought? here is a picture of all my chickens tonight ( only 6 in the picture because one is broody)

Attachments

• IMG_5603.jpg
    IMG_5603.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5607.jpg
    IMG_5607.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 70
Technically speaking adding 6' in one direction or another would provide enough space for 12 birds, however keep in mind that integration favors having more than minimum space, so you may or may not have some difficulty when it comes to adding the birds to the coop.

Also I don't see any ventilation in the photos. You'll need to increase ventilation along with roost and floor space. For 12 birds you should be aiming for at least 12 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7.

Technically speaking adding 6' in one direction or another would provide enough space for 12 birds, however keep in mind that integration favors having more than minimum space, so you may or may not have some difficulty when it comes to adding the birds to the coop.

Also I don't see any ventilation in the photos. You'll need to increase ventilation along with roost and floor space. For 12 birds you should be aiming for at least 12 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7.
Great! There is ventilation but i guess it's probably not visible in the photos, and i will be adding lots more ventilation for the new birds!

Rough guideline minimums:

4 sf coop space
10 sf run space
1 linear foot roost space
1 sf open* ventilation 24/7/365

Per chicken.

* Open means covered with hardware cloth to keep out predators.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
12 hens
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
This article explains why these are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast rules: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

• 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost

Does it matter how many square feet the henhouse is, since they only roost there? As long as they have 12' per hen roost space, isn't that what's important?

Back
Top Bottom