Coop size for 4 standards and 3 bantams?

BoerneChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Boerne, TX
OK - so I am planning to build a coop for a backyard flock. I bought plans to build The Garden Coop (http://www.thegardencoop.com/) the plan says it houses "up to 8." Having read more - I think perhaps they meant 8 bantams. So my question is - if I have a 15 sq ft coop and a 48 sq ft run - is that large enough for 4 standards (3 EEs and one Maran) and 3 bantams (BPR Bantam, 2 silkies)? I am thinking I have too many chicks coming
sad.png
I was planning to let them out in the afternoons into my yard to "range" - but it will only be an hour or two each afternoon. I am sure some days when I travel for work or the weather is bad they will need to stay in the coop and run (run is covered) - I am worried I don't have enough space. I haven't started building yet - I need advice
hu.gif

I have additional space where I planned to build the coop, and I think I can figure out how to expand the run another 3 ft (adding 15 sq ft of run space) - do I need that space? I have not been able to find a listing for space requirements for Bantams. Is the coop itself ok or do I need add a second 5x3 coop on the other end of the run?

Help!

The recommended size is 4sq ft per bird in the coop which is obviously 16 sq ft. The coop alone is barely large enough for the 4 standards. I cant remember what the size recommedation is for bantams but it is 5 sq ft for the run (10 sq ft for standards) per bird. Im sure it is 2sq ft per bird in the coop for bantams? An expert will prove me wrong
smile.png

I would recommend making the enlargements to the design, we have a coop which is barely large enough for our 4 standards as it was sold on the belief it would house 4 standards. I intend building a much larger coop so the birds have loads more space, i intend making a 145 Sq ft run as well, although ours free range all day in the garden.

Im no expert but hope this helps
smile.png

OK, it is best to have 4 sq. feet of space in the henhouse for each standard and 2-3 for each bantam. You can "stretch" the space in that henhouse by placing the nest boxes outside (easier to get eggs too) and put the pop door and ramp on the side and NOT the bottom of the house as it is in the plans. You can also extend the house itself another foot or two which will add more room. The run should have 10 sq. feet per standard and 6-8 feet per bantam. Your other consideration needs to be that the standards may pick on your bantams--especially the Silkies.

Sooo...
For the henhouse: 4x4=16 sq. feet and 3x2=6 this means the minimum space in the henhouse would be 16+6= 22 sq. feet.
For the run: 4x10=40, 3x6=18 this means the minimum space in the run would be 40+18= 58 sq. feet.

If the hens get out to range every day you can have a little less space but with you may risk fighting--especailly with the docile Silkies I wouldn't recommend going small. Perhaps having a second henhouse for the bantams might reduce squabbling in the henhouse.

Thank you ! That is what I was thinking - guess I need to replan the wood and materials to extend the run and add the second coop so no one gets beaten up or picked on. The second coop might make it easier to introduce the bantams when they come - especially if I keep it closed off and the bantams are the first ones to use it. I will still plan to bump the nest boxes to the outside and move the door to the wall in both hen houses.

Thanks for the feedback - I am glad I asked - I should have realized the max number they listed was bantams but didn't register that until I started reading more on this site.

OK - so I think I figured out how to get 20 sq ft into the hen house and three external boxes - can I count the space in the nest boxes as "space"? If they are 12 sq inches each can I count 3 additional sq ft?? Or do nest boxes not "add" to space calculations?

The run space I figured out how to get it to 60 sq ft (made the whole thing one ft deeper and 10 full ft wide).

Does that sound like it will work? My other option is to give one of the standards to my mom - she is getting three standards and has a full size horse stall being converted as well as full open range on 12 acres so she certainly won't mind one extra bird
smile.png

Should I do the expansion and cut down by one standard so I have 3 standards and 3 bantams? I want to make sure the Silkies don't get picked on.

I live in Houston, and my hen are only in the coop when they sleep, and when they lay eggs. And when they sleep, they just roost anyway which doesn't take up any space at all (I do realize however that the silkies won't roost). If you keep the food and water outside, and only have two nesting boxes, I think they would be fine in a coop that size. So long story short, considering where you live and how much time they will actually spend in the coop, I don't think going through all the trouble to make the coop bigger is really worth it. Although I would expand the run if I were you.

Well I didn't look at where you live and so you may be able to let them out of the run more as My Chicken Is Cuter said (cute name too). However, there is still the problem of the bantams getting picked on so space could still be an issue--if you were getting all super docile standards like Cochins it might have been OK. I would highly recommend 2 feeding and water stations so they all can eat and drink without being shooed away by a high ranking hen. Some hens will actually not allow another to eat (survival of the fittest but not when they are beloved pets!). I also thought of the fact the plans call for a more see through roof--will it make the coop too hot, or will it be under a shade tree?

I personally do not add the space that is in the nest as part of the sq. footage as some nests are high enough for them to be able to use the space underneath as well. When space is involved more is always better (unless its North Dakota and the coop has no heat
th.gif
so it's really cold and body heat is necessary).

I live in San Antonio TX. Yes the coop will be where it is shady and the roof material is supposed to block heat (it is actually clear gray) but still allow enough light for the grass in the run to live. The top of the house is open (enclosed with hardware cloth) so there is also airspace between the roof and the house so heat doesn't get trapped in the house.

I think my best bet is to extend the run and make the whole thing a little wider (more run and house) AND probably consider gifting my mom with one of the standard size hens when her 3 standards arrive. Then I will have 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Maran, with the 3 bantams so I shoudl have a little "spare" run space if I have 60 ft of run and three of the 6 are bantams. I will put extra waterers and feeders out to - that seems like that can't hurt either way.

Back
Top Bottom