Coop size ok?

Your numbers fit the guidelines.

12 hens
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
Not all chickens read the guidelines, so watch their behavior. But in theory you should be OK. :)

The guidelines assume you have a flock all at the same stage of maturity, are fully integrated, no more than one boy, and they can get outside of the coop at least some of the time. Other than you say you have all girls I don't know how well you meet those criteria. If you are integrating new chickens, especially mixed ages, it may be tight. Some can handle confinement better than others, you might find it a bit tight this winter in Iowa or you may be fine. You just need to pay attention and see how it goes. I think you have a good chance it will work out.

If you see feather picking or bullying get back and we'll talk it though. To a large extent those things are personality based but tighter space magnifies bad behaviors. Good luck!

The guidelines assume you have a flock all at the same stage of maturity, are fully integrated, no more than one boy, and they can get outside of the coop at least some of the time. Other than you say you have all girls I don't know how well you meet those criteria. If you are integrating new chickens, especially mixed ages, it may be tight. Some can handle confinement better than others, you might find it a bit tight this winter in Iowa or you may be fine. You just need to pay attention and see how it goes. I think you have a good chance it will work out.

If you see feather picking or bullying get back and we'll talk it though. To a large extent those things are personality based but tighter space magnifies bad behaviors. Good luck!
I have 6 1 year old hens and 5 25 week old chicks they have been ingrated for about 3 months now and there fine with each other

Heres the new coop fencing is temporary only for 2 weeks as i want them to learn this is there new home
20221004_175115.jpg
20221004_175439.jpg
20221004_194339.jpg

Back
Top Bottom