Coop size

5138bug

Chirping
Mar 20, 2015
Southbury CT
I built my first coop and after reading about space needed I'm thinking 7x8 ft will be to big for 8 standard size birds. the run is 8x12 they will let out every day I live in CT. I've posted some pictures on the coop gallery. Any opinion thanks

I built my first coop  and after reading  about  space needed I'm thinking 7x8 ft will be to big for 8 standard size birds. the run is 8x12 they will let out every day I live in CT. I've posted  some pictures on the coop gallery. Any opinion thanks

Don't forget about chicken math catching up with you. Bigger is better. When the snow does start to fall they probably won't want to go out. So the more rom the better. Nice coop. Good luck.

I built my first coop and after reading about space needed I'm thinking 7x8 ft will be to big for 8 standard size birds. the run is 8x12 they will let out every day I live in CT. I've posted some pictures on the coop gallery. Any opinion thanks
Can't be too big......impossible :D

When the snow is blowing sideways for days, they won't come out.
When you add more you'll be able to split coop with temporary chicken wire wall to help integrate.

"Too big"....I'm sorry, my brain is not processing those terms together?
lol.png

Seriously, it will be wonderful. You literally can NOT have too much space for your birds. They don't really change the temp inside the coop, so it doesn't matter how large it is from a keeping warm point of view. I'm pretty sure sometime in the next two years you'll be thinking "how can I expand on this..."

On second thought, you're totally right and I'm wrong. That is way too much coop for your birds. You need to box it up and ship it to me, for appropriate disposal asap
gig.gif

and....

welcome-byc.gif

8 chickens x 4 square feet each = a coop with 32 square feet of free floor space. You have 56 square feet.

8 chickens x 10 square feet each = a run with 80 square feet of free floor space. You have 96 square feet.

Back
Top Bottom