Coop size

:ducso if i have 15 chickens i should have a 150 ft run for them?????? cause i do NOT have room for that:barnie
150sq ft yes. But of course that’s only 10x15 (plus coop). If space is short you could think about a raised coop. I’ve only really seen small coops raised but no reason it couldn’t be done with say an 8x8 shed on brick pillars. The easier option might be to have a few less chickens but that’s tricky too :gig

:ducso if i have 15 chickens i should have a 150 ft run for them?????? cause i do NOT have room for that:barnie

Yes, you should have 150 s.f. run for them. Less than that, and eventually, you will have problems with aggression and blood shed.

My yard isn't huge. Already have 2 sheds and putting in a trampoline. Definitely can't do another shed. Hubby doesn't want to build another coop. I have to get a pre fab one. I'm looking at one that says good for 12 chickens. I have 8, but guarantee they won't all be hens, I'll probably have 6 hens. Incorporating new chickens is so much work, that I don't plan on falling victim to chicken math again, ! My budget won't allow the $2,000 massive coops.

If you can't provide the recommended size of at least 4 s.f./bird, then I strongly suggest that you limit your flock size to what ever coop you can comfortably fit in your yard. If the needs of the bird can't be met, then it's wise not to have the bird.

My yard isn't huge. Already have 2 sheds and putting in a trampoline. Definitely can't do another shed. Hubby doesn't want to build another coop. I have to get a pre fab one. I'm looking at one that says good for 12 chickens. I have 8, but guarantee they won't all be hens, I'll probably have 6 hens. Incorporating new chickens is so much work, that I don't plan on falling victim to chicken math again, ! My budget won't allow the $2,000 massive coops.
My coop didn't cost 2k, we built it ourselves and the materials were about $400 to $500. Took only three weekends. I added cost by covering the roof with fiberglass panels on the roof. You could very easily build something just big enough to roost in and lay eggs and invest more in run space. It doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.

Back
Top Bottom