Coop Size

Crawfordkj2010

Hatching
May 14, 2020
How big of a coop/run would say, 10 or so small chickens need? (Silkie and seramas) I’ve never kept Adult chickens before but I love the chicks I have And am thinking about keeping them. Thanks!

You can pack a lot of seramas in a tight space. I have squeezed more than 10 in a 3'x6' cage without spacial issues. I could even open the cage and walk off and they wouldn't leave. Silkies need as much space as a regular chicken. 10 chickens you need about 100 square feet in your run. As far as a coop goes you would need 40 square feet for 10 chickens. If you have shelter areas in the run so they can get out of the rain or wind then you can get away with a coop with just enough room for them to roost in. Best to stick to the guideline of 10 square ft per chicken in the run and 4 square feet per chicken in the coop. Better to make it too big than too small.

If you are in a cold climate, a huge coop is best since snow and wind means chickens tend to spend way more time in the coop.

A covered run can help a bunch for super rainy climates, as well as super hot (for the shade) and the windy snow I already mentioned.

A good rule of thumb is 4 square feet per chicken of coop, 10 square feet per chicken for the run.

BUT, I find in my nasty long cold and windy winters, I need 9 square feet per chicken of coop space.

For my bantams I give them a little less, about 6 square feet per hen of coop space.

I’m in Texas so I’m actually thinking about adding a window a/c to mine! I’m okay spoiling them :)

I cannot imagine any ordinary home AC unit either providing enough air exchange for the chickens' health or surviving the amount of dust chickens create.

Plenty of natural ventilation is best. Lots of people in the deep south and in Texas use coops that are more wire than wood -- coop and run in one unit with the "coop" portion just a few panels in the windward corner to provide shelter from storms.

I cannot imagine any ordinary home AC unit either providing enough air exchange for the chickens' health or surviving the amount of dust chickens create.

Plenty of natural ventilation is best. Lots of people in the deep south and in Texas use coops that are more wire than wood -- coop and run in one unit with the "coop" portion just a few panels in the windward corner to provide shelter from storms.
Ditto Dat!!

Here's great design for Texas, could be scaled down for your size needs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Back
Top Bottom