Coop Size

Sep 17, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello all; thinking of adding a mobile chicken coop to my existing stationary coop/run and chicken tractor.

I was planning on doing a 5'x10'x6' John Suscovich style tractor with a coop on the inside (4'x5', raised 2' off the ground) with the remaining space being a run (Tinkercad picture of build attached).

How many laying hens do you think I'll be able to raise in something this size? Would between 6-8 be too much? My thoughts are that they'd only be sleeping in the coop and would be inside the tractor the majority of the day scratching.

Forgot to add a nesting box to the coop, but it'd be on the back of the coop.

Attachments

• Coop.PNG
    Coop.PNG
    369.4 KB · Views: 23
Depends...

If you move it every other day, then you can get more in there. (And they will stay happy).

I stuff a bunch of chicks in tractors because they start so small, I move them often, and as soon as they get big enough that it looks like space is getting tight, I move then to a bigger area (or sell a bunch).

As to actual square feet... I have for most of the summer had 1 male with 5 girls in a tiny tractor, I think 8x4 of run with a 3x4 coop. BUT it gets moved often. (So 5 square feet of run and 2 square feet of coop per chicken). Having 6 in there is really tight. I have only had them in there so long because I needed to refesh the big coop and so all birds had to move out Usually when I use it for adults I only have 3 or 4 in there, so 8 square foot of run and 4 square foot of coop.

As soon as I decide the grass has stopped growing I will move them to the big coop and then they will have about 9 square feet of coop per chicken ... and... not sure how big my run is, plus my green house which is almost 6.5 square feet per bird.

I find it VITALIY important to have huge space for winter.

How many laying hens do you think I'll be able to raise in something this size?
Would between 6-8 be too much?
"Raise" ??
From chicks to how old?
You mention a nest so layer age.....I wouldn't put more than 2 in there.
Tractor don't work well in winter climes, snow would bury it.

"Raise" ??
From chicks to how old?
You mention a nest so layer age.....I wouldn't put more than 2 in there.
Tractor don't work well in winter climes, snow would bury it.

Where I live got an average of 0.00" of snow, with the coldest temps being around 15°. I don't expect any of my chickens to be inside the coop during our "winter".

I have met other people who raise meat birds in tractors of similar sizes (not during the chick stage, but whenever they're ready to leave the brooder) without any problems of pecking, death, etc.

My stationary run is smaller than my portable one, should I only have two in there also? The coop is also smaller; everyone that has built the same coop that I did fits 6-7 chickens in there without problem, even in the winter months with worse conditions than I have.

5'x10'x6'

So, 6' OR 5' tall? But, essentially you are saying you will give them 50 - 60 sq ft of run space (includes the area under the coop). Really depends on your chickens. *Ideally* many BYCers indicate 10+ sq ft of run space. However, some flocks do just fine with less - kinda depends on the personality of the flock, any bullies, type of feed even plays a role. If you feed a higher protein feed, such as a 20% all-flock, then that will help bc they will be less likely to feather pick. Put OS on the side.

For me, I'd try 8 adult chickens (as long as there was enough roost space in the coop and you are not talking Jersey Giants or other very large breed), and see how they get along. I've removed trouble makers from our flock depending on my overall flock goals, so just be prepared for that. But 5-6 should do fine overall, unless you have a bully or VERY dominant hen.

Where I live got an average of 0.00" of snow, with the coldest temps being around 15°. I don't expect any of my chickens to be inside the coop during our "winter".

Great - much less stress then!

6' tall (so I can walk inside without bending over).

Most likely RIRs, they're the most common around where I live and are cold tolerant (even though we don'trreally get cold temps, they'll be more comfortable).

That sounds more reasonable than the other inputs I've heard on the thread so far. I work from home, so I'll be able to move the tractor 2/3 times a day to keep them busy.

Also, thanks for the all flock advice! Currently I have layer and Grower pellets, could I replace those with all flock when my pullets are at around 6 months? I'm getting laying RIRs today from a friend

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom