Coop size

Rebecca Radacky

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Central Florida
Hi All!

I am looking into re-building my coop so that my ladies can have access to the garden. I am in Florida so don't deal with snow or very cold temperatures for long periods. My ladies are only in their coop at night for roosting and protection and to lay eggs. They have free range to my entire yard which is large. I have read that 4 square foot is the average per bird. I feel is it WAY too large since they will only be in the coop at night to sleep and for the brief time to lay an egg. What do you feel would be an appropriate size for nighttime housing and egg laying?

All replies are much appreciated.
Rebecca from Central Florida

What about rain? You all get some rain down there, that would keep your birds in the coop. So you would still need to have 4-3 sq foot. Just because there is no snow, doesn't mean you will not have rain or anything.

Thanks! I didn't think about the rain, probably because they have many options now of getting out of the rain aside from their coop. I've had my ladies for 3 years and the only time they've been in the coop is at night or to lay. Thank
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom