Coop size

tabilheu

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
What size would you recommend for 12 hens. We have 4 NH and 8 RSL. My husband and I were thinking 8X8. We live in Northern Wisconsin so we are guessing when the weather gets bitter cold they will spend some time inside. Does 8X8 sound big enough? This is our first flock so I'm figuring I will be on here A LOT asking questions.
Thanks, Tabitha

What size would you recommend for 12 hens. We have 4 NH and 8 RSL. My husband and I were thinking 8X8. We live in Northern Wisconsin so we are guessing when the weather gets bitter cold they will spend some time inside. Does 8X8 sound big enough? This is our first flock so I'm figuring I will be on here A LOT asking questions. ge
Thanks, Tabitha

That is PLENTY large. As long as they have a run. Also, My birds are out in their (partially covered) run in sleet,snow, hail, thunder, ect.Even though they have a roomy coop, they don't stay in it. I have 12 chickens in a 12 square feet coop, of course the oldest chicken is 8 weeks, but still. lol and they get along so well. I will get rid of half of them, when they get larger.

Yeah I'm pretty new to this myself I got got chickens in feb and mar, but after a while you will be helping out other people with their chicken questions. So ask away and I can't wait to see some pictures from you!

Yeah I'm pretty new to this myself I got got chickens in feb and mar, but after a while you will be helping out other people with their chicken questions. So ask away and I can't wait to see some pictures from you!
I'm pretty proud of my girls! When I was a kid my parents had 400 chickens, but I don't remember much about their care. Here is a pic of my girls eating out of my hand in their old brooder.

This one is the day we brought them home.

What size would you recommend for 12 hens. We have 4 NH and 8 RSL. My husband and I were thinking 8X8. We live in Northern Wisconsin so we are guessing when the weather gets bitter cold they will spend some time inside. Does 8X8 sound big enough? This is our first flock so I'm figuring I will be on here A LOT asking questions.
Thanks, Tabitha
That is definitely big enough! They will be so happy with all that space! Good luck! -bbchickies

Back
Top Bottom