Coop sizing queries ??

annmarie1810

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
North east England
Hello 😊

Reading on the sizing of coops has mixed reviews & answers ...

For 8 - 10 chickens how big does the coop need to be please ?

Would rather ask on here due to the amount of people with background experience in having chickens

Thanks in advance everyone

One of my coops was built specifically for 10 chickens many years ago. It is 6X8 and has housed a couple more and a lot less over the years but seems like it has worked well all that time but the chickens usually free range at least part of the day.
That coop has 4 nest boxes but they usually only use 2.
Rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per bird inside with outside access. Just as important as coop size is outside space and especially big ventilation. Fresh air is the most important thing you can provide for their health.

This confuses me when people ask this question.
Is your idea of a coop a small box the birds go in to just sleep? Just a secure roost or a secure space to roost, nest and stay in all day if bad weather or can't be turned out?
My ten hens can roost easy in 4x6 and they do as their roost box is that size. Its sits raised on the end of the covered roof 6x14 coop/run. That's 84sq ft. Just big enough.
8sq per bird and they get cabin fever if they stay in more than one day. With the 10x30 netted outside for a total of 384sq ft.
They are happy and not stressed with very little bullying from the pecking order. I will not put anymore than that in a smaller space and call them pets or my self a pet owner. Anything less is farming and food chickens.

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 20
  • vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 22
  • vvv.jpg
    vvv.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21
  • vvvvv.jpg
    vvvvv.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
  • vvvv.jpg
    vvvv.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 21
This confuses me when people ask this question.
Is your idea of a coop a small box the birds go in to just sleep? Just a secure roost or a secure space to roost, nest and stay in all day if bad weather or can't be turned out?
My ten hens can roost easy in 4x6 and they do as their roost box is that size. Its sits raised on the end of the covered roof 6x14 coop/run. That's 84sq ft. Just big enough.
8sq per bird and they get cabin fever if they stay in more than one day. With the 10x30 netted outside for a total of 384sq ft.
They are happy and not stressed with very little bullying from the pecking order. I will not put anymore than that in a smaller space and call them pets or my self a pet owner. Anything less is farming and food chickens.
I like yours :)

No we have a coop already now we’re they have roosting poles, next box & to sleep & they go in that obviously nighttime’s ..
we have a big run with roosting poles also, And logs etc for them .. but we have a shed to extend the full thing, so basically keeping the original coop & run and joinin the shed Onto it.. so the shed will have all the roosting poles and nest boxes In there 😊 we have 6 hens atm but we have 2 chicks which will be joining them all in the next 10 weeks so we wanted to make it bigger anyway just didn’t no what Peoples ideas were for sizing etc .. like I explained above always different reviews & answerS thanks For your reply

General recommended minimum is 4 sq ft per standard sized bird (not including nests) but if you have prolonged winters (especially without a climate proof run), you might want to bump it up to 6-8 sq ft per bird, as they will spend a lot more time indoors.
Thanks very much :) we have a run with a roof on anyway so there are covered from the nasty rain lol

One of my coops was built specifically for 10 chickens many years ago. It is 6X8 and has housed a couple more and a lot less over the years but seems like it has worked well all that time but the chickens usually free range at least part of the day.
That coop has 4 nest boxes but they usually only use 2.
Rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per bird inside with outside access. Just as important as coop size is outside space and especially big ventilation. Fresh air is the most important thing you can provide for their health.
Thanks very much :)
They have a big run anyway :) and a coop in place atm but we extending so that’s why wanted peoples opinions :)

Are you in the north east US?
Where you can get days and nights on end with frigid temps and feet of snow?

If so, then this.....
General recommended minimum is 4 sq ft per standard sized bird (not including nests) but if you have prolonged winters (especially without a climate proof run), you might want to bump it up to 6-8 sq ft per bird, as they will spend a lot more time indoors.
...is excellent advice.

ChickenCabinFever is real and it can get Ugly. BTDT.

Are you in the north east US?
Where you can get days and nights on end with frigid temps and feet of snow?

If so, then this.....
...is excellent advice.

ChickenCabinFever is real and it can get Ugly. BTDT.
I’m north east England, it does get cold.. but my run has a roof on anyway so they are shielded from the nasty weather in the winter time :)

So basically 4-6 sq foot per chicken most people say :)

Back
Top Bottom