Coop So Far....lots to do

ChiknMama

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
We (my hubby) are making our coop from scraps we have lying around. I think he is doing well so far seeing as we have never had chickens and this is our first coop. Any advice accepted, this will be inside an indoor run and is for 3 chickens. There is a poop board that slides in under the wire floor. We have the PVC pipe for the nipple waterer and the feeder. Could use some ideas for the roof...I was thinking of a clear one of some sort for additional light but worried about insulation during the cold winter. Legs will be added as well. Just thought I would ask before we got too much further along. There is also hardware cloth along the big opening that will be covered during the winter.

88804_183.jpg

88804_178.jpg

88804_182.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
My hubby just reminded me that the top portion is going to be screen as well with a cover that can be propped open for winter and taken off in the summer. I think that and the front panel screen will be enough ventilation right???

Quote:
My hubby just reminded me that the top portion is going to be screen as well with a cover that can be propped open for winter and taken off in the summer. I think that and the front panel screen will be enough ventilation right???

Depending..where are you located?

Quote:
It looks like it will be a good coop except for the wire floor, one of the things you will learn about having a wire floor is their poop does not empty through it but instead clogs the wire up and you have a very poopy mess that you can clean out because of the wire, I have a friend who tried this and he won't do it again. It's better to have a full floor that can be emptied out every so often.

Quote:
It looks like it will be a good coop except for the wire floor, one of the things you will learn about having a wire floor is their poop does not empty through it but instead clogs the wire up and you have a very poopy mess that you can clean out because of the wire, I have a friend who tried this and he won't do it again. It's better to have a full floor that can be emptied out every so often.

This could be an easy fix will talk to my builder (my husband) about it as I have been thinking of using sand in the bottom and we already have a solid piece that slides in under the wire.

Back
Top Bottom