Coop Suggestions

Hi All!
Can someone recommend a pre-fabricated coop that :
  • has laying boxes, a run, & roof
  • is not super expensive
  • can house 6-8 big hens

Thx!
No such coop exists. Truly. Unless you consider $3,000 not super expensive, then you could order a Carolina Coop.
Do you have a shed on your property that you could convert all or a portion of into a coop?

Hi All!
Can someone recommend a pre-fabricated coop that :
  • has laying boxes, a run, & roof
  • is not super expensive
  • can house 6-8 big hens

Thx!

Well a few questions. #1, where do you live? I think that is going to be really important for people making recommendations. Most of the 100% pre fabricated coops are really too small for chickens. I've seen some people convert sheds into an awesome coop and build a run.

You could always shop around on craigslist in your area sometimes you may find something from an individual but I'd bet it'll be pricey.

As @DobieLover says, no such coop exists.

As @MissMonty says, starting with an inexpensive pre-fab shed is likely the closest you are going to get. Plastic sheds (like the Rubbermaids) can't be easily modified to add outside access laying boxes, etc, so you are likely looking at one of the other construction methods - and you will still need tools to get into it.

***IF*** your climate as suitable, you might be able to start with a wired dog kennel as your run, then fix a coop to it, but you are still talking about a large-ish structure, and not particularly inexpensive off the shelf. 8 hens, based on the back of napkin recommends, is going to want 32 sq ft or house, plus another 80 sq ft of run to meet the minimum recommends - so you are already starting with a 10x12 or 12x12 structure for the run, from which you take 4x8 or so as reserved for the house. If you put that on the 12' side, that leaves room for a walk in door at the corner.

Well a few questions. #1, where do you live? I think that is going to be really important for people making recommendations. Most of the 100% pre fabricated coops are really too small for chickens. I've seen some people convert sheds into an awesome coop and build a run.

You could always shop around on craigslist in your area sometimes you may find something from an individual but I'd bet it'll be pricey.
Thanks for your suggestions! I live in Chester South Carolina

Budget: Not sure...as cheaply as possible
Construction Skills: My husband does & basic tools
Power & Water Near: Yes
I plan to feed & water daily

If you have power and water I'd plan to build off where that is. Keeping it as close as possible will really help you in the long run. Trust me as someone who has to haul buckets it is way easier to have a spicket close by

Are there any sheds or buildings you can use as a coop and build a run?

Back
Top Bottom