Coop suggestions

Jjkor

Hatching
Mar 23, 2023
Las Cruces NN
Hi,

I am looking for suggestions! We have 12 buff orpingtons (11 hens, one rooster) and we are getting close to transitioning them to a coop. We are looking to spend less than 1500 if that is at all possible. I am open to pre made or DIY. I want the coop and run large enough, at least 100 -120 square feet. Does any one have any suggestions? I am having a hard time finding the right accommodations within our limited budget! 😆 thank you!!!

I am open to pre made or DIY.
DIY is the best bang for the bucks.

I want the coop and run large enough, at least 100 -120 square feet.
Is that for the coop or the run?

The common 4/10 rule of thumb is a minimum.

So Welcome to BYC! @Jjkor
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1680384618009.png

I spent about 800 for our 4x8 coop/indoor run. I didn't cut corners but was as mindful as possible with the spending. If you want it covered, it will add up quick. Building materials have skyrocketed. I used Carolina Coops as inspiration for design and wish I had gone bigger. We did save money by adding a tunnel around our shed to a fenced in outdoor run for during the day but lock everyone in the fort at night. You would have to figure a design and add up the cost. Will you do a raised hen house? Metal roof the entire thing, do you need a watering system? How long do you want them to go before needing attention? Tons of things to consider! There are coops made from pallets and chicken wire all the way to ones with coated hardware cloth with pergolas.
20220720_105326.jpg

Back
Top Bottom