COOP Temperature???

I dunno. Anythat I have who are going to croak from heatstroke, do it in the first 3 days of 100 degree weather. I have SHADESHADESHADESHADESHADESHADESHADE, the little solar fan, and a solar fountain pump (near the solar fan) in a deep trough. This seems to reduce the ambient temperature by quite a lot.

Do you ahve a pic of your coop?

84680_100_1193.jpg

84680_100_1194.jpg

84680_100_1249.jpg

There is a window on the woods side "East" as well as two 16"x4" vents on each a frame section!

Chickens suffer a lot more from heat than cold. Breeze and shade are necessities. In your dry climate, a swamp cooler should work well; google it or do a search on here.

Yeah, I see a chicken oven with that coop. Can you possibly make them a covered run for them to escape to when they need it.

Mahonri (here on BYC) has an AC on one of his coops. I think he's a little bonkers, only because I could not possibly afford the electric bill for that!!

ETA: REally I am just jealous.

Last edited:
Yeah in the process of getting there enclosed run together. I have the lumber already just gotta get the hardware cloth and get some time to work on it! But yeah still a work in progress.

Yeah, if they're stuck indoors for most of the day, I'd get a window fan going pronto. Doesn't look like you have much ventilation, unless I'm missing it in your photos. Do you have two windows??? If not, then I'm not sure how much it'd help to aim the fan out, because the intent with that would be to pull air in through somewhere and out the window, creating a breeze. I'd cover that glass door w/a curtain, mini blinds, or something, because that's kind of doing a greenhouse affect. Get that run done QUICK so those poor birds can get out into the air and find shady spots...

Folks, remember there is a BIG difference between 95 degrees in Tucson (usually dry heat) versus 95 degrees in the Carolinas (usually pretty humid). Chickens tolerate substantially higher temperatures in DRY air than they do in real humid air. (Also swamp-coolers are not as useful in humid places, should you decide the chickens *are* getting too hot)

The pictured coop is WAY underventilated for a NC coop -- you think it's hot in there now, just wait til July, and you may indeed get dead chickens if you haven't corrected it. So get cuttin'
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Our coop is 8x8 with a metal roof, 2 small windows, a very large door that leads to the run and a wall fan I got from Northern Tools. I have a thermometer inside the coop and check it daily. I insulated the roof and it made a huge difference as far heat. It has never gotten hotter than the outside temp and my 5 RIR seem to be doing very well and it has been very hot in SW Florida. My wife opens the coop up in the morning around 6am and turns the fan on, opens the door and the windows stay open all the time. Now saying all this I may be adding a couple of vents up high on the walls for just a little more but the fan really helps. Here are some pictures:

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

Quote:
Spoken like a true Snowbird! LOL!!

Yes, I totally agree. But since I have no experience with extended humidity (monsoon season here still tops ~65% in the worst of the summer heat) I didn't want to give bad advice!

I REALLY like the setup in the coop above.

Back
Top Bottom