coop toys

Just make sure you always use twine and not string. I have a hen who is now a house chicken because she got hold of a string and it strangled her tongue to the point that it fell off. She now can't eat anything smaller than a layer pellet.
hmm.png
So just beware of strings. Twine is harder for them to eat if it were to break and they got a hold of it.
Thank you. I just shared your suggestion on the Texas thread. I will need to clarify.

Chickens like to jump on and off kids plastic blocks or push around a brightly colored little ball(too big to swallow), also roost on a real tree branch. If you don't have grass in your RUN, a shovelful of dirt/with weeds or grass is a treasure chest to them, or dump some leaves , or give them their own sandbox to play in(outside)

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you join us! One thing I do for my girls do give them something to do is hang a head of lettuce or cabbage from some twine. It gives them something to peck at other than each other. Another option is to provide lots of little things for them to climb and jump on.
I also hang a head of lettuce or cabbage for them to peck at, only I hang it JUST above their heads so that they jump and peck at it in the air. this gives them exercise and they don't seem to mind it a bit. It's entertaining to watch. I also give them apples from one of our trees. They love the plastic ball with holes in it. I fill it with scratch and the rooster pushes it around so the hens can get to the goodies. I also put in the "run" a perch about 3 foot high. Two treated 2x4's and a 3" dead tree trunk across the top. The rooster likes to get on it in the morning and do his crowing. The hens also like to set on it. Things like these keep them occupied.

I also hang a head of lettuce or cabbage for them to peck at, only I hang it JUST above their heads so that they jump and peck at it in the air. this gives them exercise and they don't seem to mind it a bit. It's entertaining to watch. I also give them apples from one of our trees. They love the plastic ball with holes in it. I fill it with scratch and the rooster pushes it around so the hens can get to the goodies. I also put in the "run" a perch about 3 foot high. Two treated 2x4's and a 3" dead tree trunk across the top. The rooster likes to get on it in the morning and do his crowing. The hens also like to set on it. Things like these keep them occupied.
Thanks! These are terrific suggestions. Ours are free range girls, but I'm sure they would enjoy some toys too.

Back
Top Bottom