Coop/tractor combo

Boilerja

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
I have been researching coop design quite extensively over the past few weeks. Just bought four chicks on Saturday and I am going to start building housing soon. I have a smaller backyard and was throwing around the idea of a stationary coop with a moveable run/ chicken tractor I could rotate around the yard during the day while I was away, and moving run back to coop at night, giving the chickens the security of a more substantial coop. (I hope that makes sense.). Thoughts from more experienced please!

It might be just as easy to build the coop and run with 2 wheels and the equivalent of wheelbarrow handles. If you are going to go through the trouble everyday of moving the run around the yard and reattaching to the coop at night, you might as well make it easy enough to move them both at the same time. A 4' x 6' run will give each bird 6 sqft or yard space but not be too cumbersome to move around.

Found this one like I am talking about at http://chickenpic.blogspot.com
2526535630_b7b69b3d17.jpg

Last edited:
That makes sense...I was worried that a tractor might be easier for raccoon or possum to get under?

You can always put a wire floor in it although it would interfere with the birds scratching around. If you are going to move it around, you don't necessarily need a floor as long as you are closing the coop door each night. Most predators are going to be nocturnal. Then moving it to your new spot in the morning before opening it back. I do like Killers idea about the skirt as a deterrent. Another technique would be to attach a solar powered electric fence wire around the run that would simply move around with the coop tractor.

Back
Top Bottom