Coop tractor ?

I think I'm going to build a stationary "base" for the Dec-March stretch that's more predator proof at the ground. I want it to be mobile because these birds won't be getting more than a few hrs a week of free range time, so kind of trying to simulate that in a way.

I think I'm going to build a stationary "base" for the Dec-March stretch that's more predator proof at the ground. I want it to be mobile because these birds won't be getting more than a few hrs a week of free range time, so kind of trying to simulate that in a way.
That sounds prudent. I was thinking of doing that if I ever had to use my isolation tractor in the winter months.

IMG_20221010_101552_372.jpg

Because of the cold? I've been thinking about doing the wire floor on the coop for 8/9 months of the year and then solid floor for the
I would definately put a floor in if your temperature gets below freezing. You could also find a permanent spot for it in the winter that is out of the wind and then add temporary siding to it.

Here is my homemade one sitting empty for another month. I made a square run for them as we like sitting in with them every now and then. It's a little heavier than I would like. If I had to build it again I might try and find lighter materials to use. I just reused old lumber I had laying around from the people who owned the house before us. With the price of wood I have been repurposing a lot of old lumber.

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_182404.jpg
    IMG_20240411_182404.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240411_182343.jpg
    IMG_20240411_182343.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Update

So first I have a question

I plan on using metal for the roof part of the A- frame and I forgot to account for 1/2 underlayment. Can I use Coroplast ? Im concerned about condensation in the winter months. If I put the 1/2 on the next piece of roofing won't sit right.

Unfortunately per the 1st reply on here I'm now in total agreement on the A-frame not being the best way to build a coop. Its more time consuming and i doubt ive saved all that much in material. Its to small and going to be difficult to access the inside of when necessary. That said it's framed and painted and I'm kind of stuck with it, I need it finished and inspected so I can move the chickens in asap. I did plan for lots of ventilation in the summer, welded wire floor and the top 20 inches of the A is going to be framed hardware cloth, plan on putting plywood floor over the ww floor in the winter and to fashion some kind of cover for the top vents in the winter to still vent appropriately but not leave it "open". Oh and I'm doing wood shiplap walls instead of metal to reduce some of the heating issue

I put the metal roof right on the 2*4s. No underlay as it would add too much weight. For getting in to clean I put hinges on the back of the coop so I could completely open the back for cleaning or chicken catching.

I never noticed an issue. However once it starts snowing I move them to another coop. I plan on building a brand new coop this summer and am considering cannibalizing parts off the tractor as I prefer to let the chickens free range. When I built the tractor I didn't plan on letting them free range.

Getting there,

Attachments

• 20240507_200145.jpg
    20240507_200145.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240507_172803.jpg
    20240507_172803.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 6
99% done, just needs wheels although I'm not sure how that's gonna work out, it's very heavy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_091611_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_091611_Gallery.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom