Coop training?

Jay2380

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
We recently added 3 new pullets (5 mo old) to our current flock of 4(3 mo old). We kept them in the same run for 10 days seperated and let them mingle for the first time together today. Everything went pretty well. My concern is the new 3 we got from a farm that did not use coops, they just slept on the ground. How should I go about getting them coop trained? Will they figure it out on their own! We are in central washington with the temps 100+ for about 10 days so I can just leave them in the coop for a few days, plus the other 4 need to go in at night. Any thoughts would be great. Thank you

I agree, just at dark, they will be easy to pick up. They may squawk - but put them in the coop. By the third night - most of mine have been there. If they are laying and they should be, they should rapidly rise up over the 3 month birds. They will become one flock when the younger birds start laying. Until then, there will be a sub flock. One day it will just be gone. It is kind of neat to notice.

MRs K

Agree with the others, but I'd suggest not doing it after dark, but at dusk, when it's dark enough that they want to start getting ready for bed, but not so dark that they can't see anything. Ideally they'd be able to see where they're going and where you are putting them. Wait until dusk, when the other chickens have just gone in (the new ones watching the existing flock go in will help them learn, too), and then manually put them inside through the pop door. Close the pop door, go in through the human access door and put them on the roost. What's your roosting setup? Do you have multiple roosts or just one? The flock may not be okay sharing a roost with the newcomers, even if they seem to accept them during the day. The newcomers might be afraid to roost because of that. Ideally you'd have a separate roost for the new birds, until they are fully accepted into the flock and able to share a roost without squabbling. So when you go inside, put them on a second roost manually. By then it will be dark enough that they probably won't risk jumping down, and will stay put, but not so dark that they can't see anything. So they'll see where they are, and start learning that that's their place to sleep. Do this for a few nights and they'll eventually learn. I just did this with my new chicks and they figured it out in 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom