Coop troubles

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey yall....so in April we bought chicks to start. We had just moved the November before onto 5 acres and have horses and our dream was to have a little farm. We jumped right in and bought 21 birds total. We started with like 14 but then kept going back for two more....kept going back....kept going back.... we have several different breeds Basically now we have 17 birds due to rehoming and one death in a young chick due to a poo blockage. We have a small coop.....idk the size....and its split one side for the 5 ducks and one side for the 12 chickens. The duck side is smaller obviously. We made it out of pallets and random peices of ply wood due to the lumber prices, but now we see it seems to hold a LOT of moisture. I'm sure its moldy and wet 24/7 but I try to clean it and put dry shavings down and stall dry as much as possible. Currently we have 2 ducks who were in quarantine due to a bumblefoot issue that is AWFUL and plugged oil glands. The very small coop we made them is having the same issues with draftiness also on the list. We cant quarantine them in there anymore so we will have to move them to the bigger coop so they dont freeze. We made a mistake I see that but idk if much can be done now that its started snowing and such. The worst part is that we live on a high water table and the rain has been unending this year. The coop is raised so its not sitting in water tho. Idk what to do. We might try to buy something soon but idk if its possible. I'll try to get a pic soon. Any ideas???? Help!!!!

-We won't be able to offer too much advice until we see a picture of what you're working with and can you also get dimensions?

-Do you put water in the coop for your ducks or is it all outside?

-When you say you try to clean it as often as possible how often is well "often" exactly?

-When you say it's raised off of the ground how far?

-We won't be able to offer too much advice until we see a picture of what you're working with and can you also get dimensions?

-Do you put water in the coop for your ducks or is it all outside?

-When you say you try to clean it as often as possible how often is well "often" exactly?

-When you say it's raised off of the ground how far?
I'll try to get dimensions and pics. The water is inside ad outside. Should I just have it out? I usually clean once a week or more SOMETIMES it goes longer but I usually toss in dry shavings on top of wet if I cant clean it fully. I'm not sure how far...I'll check

I'll try to get dimensions and pics. The water is inside ad outside. Should I just have it out? I usually clean once a week or more SOMETIMES it goes longer but I usually toss in dry shavings on top of wet if I cant clean it fully. I'm not sure how far...I'll check
Keep the duck water outside along with their food and offer it only during the day. They are probably the biggest reason why your coop is getting wet. As far as cleaning once a week could be fine depending on how big your coop is. I stir bedding daily and do a haul out once a week. Some people use deep litter method, but the deep litter method only works if your birds have adequate space.

Hey yall....so in April we bought chicks to start. We had just moved the November before onto 5 acres and have horses and our dream was to have a little farm. We jumped right in and bought 21 birds total. We started with like 14 but then kept going back for two more....kept going back....kept going back.... we have several different breeds Basically now we have 17 birds due to rehoming and one death in a young chick due to a poo blockage. We have a small coop.....idk the size....and its split one side for the 5 ducks and one side for the 12 chickens. The duck side is smaller obviously. We made it out of pallets and random peices of ply wood due to the lumber prices, but now we see it seems to hold a LOT of moisture. I'm sure its moldy and wet 24/7 but I try to clean it and put dry shavings down and stall dry as much as possible. Currently we have 2 ducks who were in quarantine due to a bumblefoot issue that is AWFUL and plugged oil glands. The very small coop we made them is having the same issues with draftiness also on the list. We cant quarantine them in there anymore so we will have to move them to the bigger coop so they dont freeze. We made a mistake I see that but idk if much can be done now that its started snowing and such. The worst part is that we live on a high water table and the rain has been unending this year. The coop is raised so its not sitting in water tho. Idk what to do. We might try to buy something soon but idk if its possible. I'll try to get a pic soon. Any ideas???? Help!!!!
It sounds like your coop is overpopulated and violently under-ventilated. You will end up with frostbite or worse this winter if you don't remedy both conditions.

Do you have an old shed or other larger outbuilding you can convert into a coop?

I cant get a pic or dimensions right now I'm sorry I'm really sick rn and dont spend too much time outside and I had to fix a broken fence my horse busted out of. I know its overpopulated. I dont have a shed or anything I can convert into a coop. On top of that we just found huge pawprints outside and our garbage was spread everywhere. Possibly a small bear or big dog of sorts. I will look into getting something for them....I know I've been quite concerned for them. We planned to build a bigger coop asap but we found a major hidden mold issue in our house and the chicken coop was put on hold.....I'll do some searching and try to get something better for them....I think it might just be better to start over with a coop but idk if its possible. Thanks for the help yall.

Oh dear. You seem to be in quite a predicament.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a lot because "Snow and freezing" varies from inches with temps measured in double-digit positive degrees farenheight to measured in feet with temps measured in double-digit negative degrees farenheight. :D

If, as soon as you're feeling up to it, you can give us photos of the current coop and any structure on the property that might possibly be modified -- including woodsheds, and porches attached to sheds or garages -- we'll do our best to help you out.

Cattle-panel hoop coops are the fastest way to expand space and while a tarp roof won't last forever it will take at least most of a winter to buy you time to build better. :)

Oh dear. You seem to be in quite a predicament.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a lot because "Snow and freezing" varies from inches with temps measured in double-digit positive degrees farenheight to measured in feet with temps measured in double-digit negative degrees farenheight. :D

If, as soon as you're feeling up to it, you can give us photos of the current coop and any structure on the property that might possibly be modified -- including woodsheds, and porches attached to sheds or garages -- we'll do our best to help you out.

Cattle-panel hoop coops are the fastest way to expand space and while a tarp roof won't last forever it will take at least most of a winter to buy you time to build better. :)
Ok thanks so much!!! We are located in Michigan. Yeah thanks!! I'll definitely have to look into the cattle-panel hoop coop! Thanks!

Ok thanks so much!!! We are located in Michigan. Yeah thanks!! I'll definitely have to look into the cattle-panel hoop coop! Thanks!

Here are some hoop coop designs.

Yes, they can take snow load.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-biddie-bordello-a-hoop-coop-run-combo.72189/reviews
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/reviews

All of them are useful for information and technique, but the last one on the list is probably the best option.

Keeping ducks and chickens separate is usually recommended because chickens need to stay dry to stay healthy while ducks are WET.

Back
Top Bottom