Coop troubles

This is just random.....but could I make a coop out of a trampoline? I could put chicken wire around outside of the legs...

This is just random.....but could I make a coop out of a trampoline? I could put chicken wire around outside of the legs...

Yes, people do that -- usually as a run rather than a coop though.

Hardware cloth is better than chicken wire because dogs and raccoons can rip right through chicken wire.

its also VERY muddy!!
I'm not sure where you are dumping the shavings when you clean the coop, but you could try dumping them in the mud. Yes, they will sink into the mud, but over time they may build up enough to make a difference.

A bunch of wood chips would be even better for covering up the mud, but the shavings are something you already have right now, and dumping them in the run is probably easier than carrying them anywhere else. (When life is difficult, easier is usually good.)

You might also consider removing some of your birds (by rehoming some, or by butchering & eating some.) Fewer birds in the same space means they are less crowded, and it stays cleaner for longer.

If you place your roosts higher up, the ducks won't run into them. Consider screwing some U-shaped blocks to the walls, about two or three feet high, then attaching your roosts to the blocks. You could even screw the roosts into the blocks so they stay there permanently. For best results, the roosts should be higher than the nests. Then your chickens won't sleep in the nests and foul the nests. Sorry, pun not intended.

Ok. Here is a random,probably unrealistic thought... Can you move your birds into the plastic shed and put your bikes and stuff in your barn and your current coop? I used a plastic shed as a temporary coop while we were between houses. It worked very well! You might even be able to buy one as a temporary fix. Look on Craigslist and other sites for used sheds, coops, playhouses, dog houses, etc. With some modifications and hardware cloth, you can do wonders.

I agree that your ducks are what are causing the wetness. Take their food and water out of the coop.

I also agree that pine shavings will help as will wood chips. Look into landscaping companies who deliver free wood chips.

And don't be ashamed to re-home some of them if you need. I've made terrible mistakes learning how to take care of my flock. I still do. We ALL do. Just do what's best for your family and your flock, and you can never go wrong.

And I still think you're awesome! ❤️

Thank you both! Yes I'll place some higher roosts as soon as I can. I'll see if I can...I honestly doubt the rest of my fam will want to do that but I can try. I think we are getting two free sheds from a friend at some point, we have to go pick them up, but they are being held for us. I do not know the condition they are in, but one of those could work too. The only trouble is, my dad and brother have a LOT of mechanical stuff, engines, tractors, tools....so much stuff, and not all of it fits in the garage. They need more spots to put it, and the sheds would be perfect. I will have a talk with them as soon as I can and try to convince them to let me do this. I've searched for old play houses and stuff...even old coops, I even looked for old campers or horse trailers that could not do their job anymore to make into a coop. they would already be off the ground and such....but I didnt find much. I'll keep trying. Thank you 😊

Thank you both! Yes I'll place some higher roosts as soon as I can. I'll see if I can...I honestly doubt the rest of my fam will want to do that but I can try. I think we are getting two free sheds from a friend at some point, we have to go pick them up, but they are being held for us. I do not know the condition they are in, but one of those could work too. The only trouble is, my dad and brother have a LOT of mechanical stuff, engines, tractors, tools....so much stuff, and not all of it fits in the garage. They need more spots to put it, and the sheds would be perfect. I will have a talk with them as soon as I can and try to convince them to let me do this. I've searched for old play houses and stuff...even old coops, I even looked for old campers or horse trailers that could not do their job anymore to make into a coop. they would already be off the ground and such....but I didnt find much. I'll keep trying. Thank you 😊
Good luck! How are you feeling today?

Good luck! How are you feeling today?
Well, I'm still pretty miserable. I went outside to let the quarantine ducks out since its magically 60 degrees Fahrenheit today! Well I was super dizzy and ended up shuffling across the yard in my crocs and pj pants. I was so dizzy I could barely walk in a straight line! I quickly let my ducks out and gave them a deep bowl of water to clear their nostrils and hurried/shuffled inside. I almost died in the mud but I didnt. I ended up SOMEHOW getting close to 14 hours of sleep but that just made me feel more tired.......But my fever is much lower today too so thats good. Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom