Coop under a mulberry tree...

Mine have two mulberry trees dropping one delicious berry after another into the run - and when they get out into the yard - they head for the chokecherry tree - none of these seem to cause any issues.

Chickens LOVE Mulberries. They're quite tasty for people too!

The only thing to maybe keep in mind is that hens might get a little overzealous with unripened berries (if they can jump and reach branches) and give themselves quite the case of the runs! Our big Light Brahma gal had a very moist bum this year because she figured out she didn't have to wait for berries to fall- she picked all the unripened ones from the bottom branches. Unripened Mulberries are said to have psychedelic properties... so she may have been pretty trashed the whole week!
lol.png

Quote:
Ahh! That is the kind of thing I was wondering about... and that may be the explanation behind the runny poo we've been seeing lately! I was also concerned about it affecting their eggs... once they are old enough to lay!

I've got a mulberry in my hen yard. Makes great shade in the summer, lets the sun through in the winter and the birds love the fruit. The Kinder Major loves them too so I often get berry stained eggs when the fruit are ripe.

If the coop is under the tree is the fresh chicken poop bad for the trees ,( because of the long term leaching into the ground ,and roots)?

Back
Top Bottom