Coop Updates for Biosecurity -HPAI

I mean- technically I can drive - but that would be a long journey from Mount Healthy with those peepers! (12 hours straight) so I will keep their mail date to us from the USPS

I’m about 2+ hours from Mt Healthy and about 3.5 + hours to Meyers! But Meyers is a little far to go to very often. Our very first order was with Meyer. It took 3 solid days to get to our PO. So very poor handling/shipping by USPS and chicks were DOA. We were refunded, of course, except shipping. We decided that, if possible, any chick orders would be picked up in person. Sometimes, though, you want something new. We have ordered from 2 other hatcheries via mail and received chicks in a timely manner, all healthy. We’ve never ordered from Mt Healthy though.. maybe in the future. Hope your order arrives quickly snd in great health!

I’m about 2+ hours from Mt Healthy and about 3.5 + hours to Meyers! But Meyers is a little far to go to very often. Our very first order was with Meyer. It took 3 solid days to get to our PO. So very poor handling/shipping by USPS and chicks were DOA. We were refunded, of course, except shipping. We decided that, if possible, any chick orders would be picked up in person. Sometimes, though, you want something new. We have ordered from 2 other hatcheries via mail and received chicks in a timely manner, all healthy. We’ve never ordered from Mt Healthy though.. maybe in the future. Hope your order arrives quickly snd in great health!
Thanks us too! I ordered from Meyers last time and all went well- lost one after 24 hours - but think it was a failure to thrive type of thing. I still have my barred rock in my flock who will be 8 this month from Mount Healthy- so I really like them as a hatchery and decided to try them again. Being on Long Island is tough as most of the hatcheries are in the mid west- so I always pick the most reputable and closest. Murray McMurray is temping with their breed selection- but I can't chance the additional distance of 600 miles!

I am in a state where HPAI has not been found at this point (OR). I have my first 5 birds-- they are 9 or 10 weeks old, and I haven't completed the run yet. They are in a 6x4 coop (the two roosters will be dinner soon).

Should I still be covering the run immediately?

Should I not be taking them for walks in the backyard at this point? We have migratory geese flying over, but they don't stop in the yard.

I am in a state where HPAI has not been found at this point (OR). I have my first 5 birds-- they are 9 or 10 weeks old, and I haven't completed the run yet. They are in a 6x4 coop (the two roosters will be dinner soon).

Should I still be covering the run immediately?

Should I not be taking them for walks in the backyard at this point? We have migratory geese flying over, but they don't stop in the yard.

Click on this link for Oregon.
Or Dept Ag Avian Influenza

In the above they note a ODA news blog for Oregon:
Oregon HPAI Blog

Link to Federal Info
USDA - APHIS for HPAI

Overall, its not in Oregon at this time. You are a part of a different flyway for migrating birds. Not that it cannot be found there, it just has not yet been found there in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom