Coop upgrade | question

One other thing to think about.....

Increasing flock size means having a lot of extra space in the coop as well as the run.
Chickens can be brutal to newcomers and attack relentlessly.
Thanks so much for your feedback! Greatly appreciated. I don’t know if we’d be able to pull off that plan but will discuss. Was trying to give them some type of upgrade. Even if it’s just for our four lady loves.

I think for 8 birds with that type of shed is not realistic. The footprint is still not much room for such desired birds.

By attaching the run, keeping the door open like open air style. It could be doable. Personally I would keep the same amount of birds and then see how it goes before adding more chickens.

Last edited:
I think for 8 birds with that type of shed is not realistic. The footprint is still not much room for such desired birds.

By attaching the run, keeping the door open like open air style. It could be doable. Personally I would keep the same amount of birds and then see how it goes before adding more chickens.
totally understand. Someone in another group mentioned having a similar set up but changing the way roost set Up. So one door would stay permanently closed with roosts going along the narrow area. Nest box on other side where can open and access. And still cut open door arch for ladies to go in and out of run.
D3CD7748-5C83-4608-91AA-6142D8C8FA1F.jpeg

Floor space is super important. No matter how it's sliced the floor space of that storage locker is still just barely big enough for 2 birds.

Have you looked on your local freecycle, craigslist, facebook or other sites for free/cheap used kids playhouses (thinking a 4x6 footprint) or sheds?

Nests inside the structure further reduce the usable floor space.

Floor space is super important. No matter how it's sliced the floor space of that storage locker is still just barely big enough for 2 birds.

Have you looked on your local freecycle, craigslist, facebook or other sites for free/cheap used kids playhouses (thinking a 4x6 footprint) or sheds?

Nests inside the structure further reduce the usable floor space.
Totally hear you

Actually have been checking Fb for playhouses. Nothing yet

thoughts on this (windows reinforced with hardware cloth of course )
Evermeadow Wooden Playhouse | Garden Games | 51" H x 41" W x 38" D (Playhouse with Floor) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X4DK99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7E66AF54KQ4DS7YQSBBJ

So Chickens can live in pretty much anything. Is it healthy/good for them... not really. Will they make it in there... yes. Should they? Probably not. That's a really small footprint for them and if you do the roosts like that you will have a lot of hens with poop on their feathers and a lot of hen-pecked heads. You could probably get 4 in there... but any more than that you will really cramp them. They're also going to poop all over your nest boxes.

You can build a bigger, better coop than that yourself pretty easily if you wanted to- and probably under $200. It will also outlast that building.

Totally hear you

Actually have been checking Fb for playhouses. Nothing yet

thoughts on this (windows reinforced with hardware cloth of course )
Evermeadow Wooden Playhouse | Garden Games | 51" H x 41" W x 38" D (Playhouse with Floor) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X4DK99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7E66AF54KQ4DS7YQSBBJ

Still only about the footprint of that garden storage box.....to small for 4 hens.

I see this in your area.....might be worth looking into. The payments are small.
Look for at least a 4'x6' coop.
https://cnj.craigslist.org/grq/d/hoboken-chicken-coops-from-down-42-month/7350868668.html

Still only about the footprint of that garden storage box.....to small for 4 hens.

I see this in your area.....might be worth looking into. The payments are small.
Look for at least a 4'x6' coop.
https://cnj.craigslist.org/grq/d/hoboken-chicken-coops-from-down-42-month/7350868668.html
Thank you.
They do free range on half an acre. But I’ll hold off until we can get a larger coop. Thanks again. So far they have been ok in their small one.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom