Coop Upgrade~

DixieAngels

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
I noticed my coop roof has been leaking a lot and as of right now I don't have any chickens so what do I do, I completely tear the old roof off and rebuild it to last! The roof structure is supported by 2x4's and 1x6 with acutally metal roof housing the area that I am redoing is a 16x16 section and the nesting area is still in great shape which is a 8x24 area which i did add 2 roosting boards which i used 2 1x6x8 and then I have a open roof area that is just wire which is a 8x16 area my coop is 24x24 here is a cpl of photos I took today of what was accomplished before the rain came in and we had to stop! we will finish up tomorrow hopefully it does not rain!
Plz let me know what you think or any ideas to make my Coop a better place for my chickens!

Rusty Reid
SE Arkansas

Personally, I'd take advantage of not yet having chickens and sort out the roof once and for all - it will be better in the long run.

Just an observation, if you are not blocking off access to the nest box area, then make your roosts higher than the nest boxes. Chickens always aim for the highest roosting spot and it's better if thats not your nest boxes.

Congrats on your build - it's looking great!

I'm not going to get chickens yet I'm going to finish the coop repair first! on the opposite side of the nesting boxes you will see a 1x6x8 that sits about 4.5ft off the ground the nesting box perch sits about 3ft of the ground and then there is another perch put on top of the wall in the middle between the nexting boxes and the opposite wall! but I am thinking of raising the perch on the opposite wall another foot higher!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom