Coop Ventilation - Summer and Winter

Ac33iu

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Sandown, NH
Hi,

I was hoping to get a few opinions of a newly built coop. We live in new hampshire, so winters can be cold and long. That said, it still heats up in the summer. I want to have the proper amount of ventilation without letting the chickens get to hot or too cold. In the summer, we are able to open up the window to go along with the 4" vents tbat were installed. Please see photographs, do you think I should add more venting knowing the long cold winter months? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200530_191309.jpg
    20200530_191309.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200530_191254.jpg
    20200530_191254.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

I was hoping to get a few opinions of a newly built coop. We live in new hampshire, so winters can be cold and long. That said, it still heats up in the summer. I want to have the proper amount of ventilation without letting the chickens get to hot or too cold. In the summer, we are able to open up the window to go along with the 4" vents tbat were installed. Please see photographs, do you think I should add more venting knowing the long cold winter months? Thanks!
I would probably recommend more ventilation and if you can, two larger vents across from each other. I had a coop that had a really big wire ventilation hole in the door and in the winter I screwed some plastic over it and the birds were fine in the winter. So you could always cover the larger vents with plastic or wood or something like that for the coldest months.

Cold in winter is less deadly than heat in summer, so I'd definitely have enough ventilation in there to keep it reasonably comfortable in summer.

That said, ventilation still needs to stay open in winter - lets moist air escape, so birds can stay dry and keep themselves warm. Recommended minimum is 1 sq ft per bird year round.

Well 1 super obvious place that you can put a lot of ventilation... the wall facing inside the run. The roof should provide good climate protection for that wall.
Ditto Dat!!

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Ac33iu
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590964874875.png

Back
Top Bottom