Coop versus run space

arcatamarcia

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
I am planning an enclosed coop/covered run in my small suburban backyard. I have a 4' X 10' space to devote to it. I'd like to have 4 chickens. My question is how to divide up the space between coop and covered run. The girls might also get some free range time, but only when the birds and dogs can be closely supervised and since I work full time, that won't be really often. Everyone tells me they will only use the coop at night, which suggests to me I should make the coop as small as possible and the run as big as possible. So I'm thinking a 2'X4' coop (with one nest box outside and a 4ft. long roost centered on the 2ft. walls (12" fore and aft). Is that enough roost space, or should I make the coop 3X4 (and give them 18" fore and aft) and the run 4X7? I was planning on enclosed storage under the coop for food, bedding, etc. so I can't count that in run space.

Advice from experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
From the great state of TEXAS

Now for your answer No that won't be big enough trust me I know you will need to expand in time take my word for it but for now the rule is 2 sq feet inside and 10 sq feet outside per chicken Yeah they will use it at night to roost but they will also scratch around during the day when it rains or is to windy or depending on the reigon you live be on lock down for the winter when there is snow on the ground. As for your nesting boxes I would go with at least 2 trust me on this they will all try to pile in on the one box unless you make it a really long open box with enough room for everyone.
Also you will need room to stick your feeder and waterer in the coop in the winter and the hot days of summer and yes they need to hang, Also you weill want a poop board and easy access to clean it and the coop out (for some odd reason they poop alot at night more so then the day time) I suggest you go with the deep litter method easier to clean and makes for great "green" compost. as for ideas on how to make a nice coop and run for what you needs are I suggest you take a look at the coop page here in the forum there are some great looking coops so this will help you choose what your looking for for your needs.
I trust that My answer will help you make the right choice
Good luck

Honestly, I'd skip the idea of using the space under the coop for storage, and go with a "garden coop" type design, with the coop sitting over part of the run, and make the run equal to the full 4' by 10'.

For the coop size, it matters what your climate is: if you live someplace with cold, snowy winters, your flock will probably need to be inside that coop on bitter winter days. If you're in a warmer climate, you're right that your chickens will probably only roost there. If you have very hot summers, you'll need to take measures to make sure you're not building an oven for them to roost in, too.

The more chickens you keep in an enclosed space, the more work there is for you to do to keep things clean and sanitary. If I had space limitations like yours, I'd really think hard about whether it's better to only get 3, rather than 4 chickens to begin with. Either that, or try to figure out a way to add a bit more width or length to the run. Just adding a foot of width gives you a whole ten more square feet of space for the run.

And I'd really rethink building a coop that's only 2 feet wide. In a coop that narrow, if you put attach the roost to the 2 foot wide sides, the chickens will not have any or much room to get up and down from the roost. They need a bit of space, they're not like helicopters able to go straight up and down. As others have pointed out, you'll have no good place to put feed or water in a coop this size, either.

I have a 4' by 4' enclosed coop that I built for five tiny bantams, and even that's a bit on the cramped side. I wouldn't build anything smaller than that, myself.

Quote:
This is what I am doing, but with a bigger area.
I like the idea of a covered "shelter" while they are outside, in case it is hot but the shade and breeze feels good, etc.

In your shoes, personally I'd build a 4x8 coop over top of a 4x10 run. (Having the coop shorter than the run allows some area for extra-tall run space so you can easily have the popdoor going out the *wall* of the coop rather than one of those dysfunctional hole-in-the-floor deals)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks for your replies. I live on the west coast in California, so it never gets hot and never gets really cold where I live. Pretty much between 50 and 70 degrees all year round, but a fair amount of rain, almost all of it in winter and spring. I can push a bit more length in the run (maybe 2 more feet for an additional 8 sq. ft.) and also can wrap the run around an apple tree to make it "L" shaped and that will give me another 12 sq. ft. of run space. So, I'll stick with my original plan of a 4X4 coop (with a 2X4 section for storage and a 2X4 section for the girls) and route the run through the trees to make more space for the girls. Then I'll have about 6 feet of the run covered from the rain and the rest covered with chicken wire. Thanks for your advice. Without it, I'm sure I would have put it all together just to have to take it apart and redo it.

So I'll have 16 sq. ft. of coop, 24 sq. ft. of covered run, and about 20 sq. ft. of uncovered (but predator proof) run. Sounds like that should work for 4 chickens. Thanks for helping me sort it out.

Um, you might want to do a search here on "chicken wire" to see discussions of the pros and cons of using that to enclose your run. Bottom line, it's good for keeping chickens in, but doesn't do much for keeping predators out.

I envy your climate! It sounds just about perfect to me. We got freezing weather and snow this winter here in North Texas, and right now we're soon to get our first 90 degree day of very many to follow. In about a month or so, we'll think 90 degrees is a cool spell. Sigh.

Elmo,

Thanks for the heads up about the chicken wire. My plan was to use hardware cloth on the walls of the run (where the biggest concerns are my own labs; the dogs keep everything else out) and chicken wire on the top. My topside predators are red-tailed hawks and owls. Will the chicken wire keep them out, or would it be better to use hardware cloth throughout?

Back
Top Bottom