Coop Windows to purchase

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
Hey all!
Totally digging this forum and site. We are infants when it comes to chicks, chickens, coops and flocks. I wish I had more time in the day to just read this site LOL- I'm already super distracted soaking up everything I can. DH is building our coop and in 'touring' a friends coop he took a picture of the brand name of the windows "Dutchland Windows" (coop was Amish built) and we can't seem to find anything about the company online. In FACT I am struggling to find any good selection of Chicken Coop windows (specifically that has a good secure wire mesh to keep the critters out) - seems to be that most are just standard shed windows. Am I missing something or searching wrong- does everyone just modify their own? I presume standard window screens are not secure enough. Looking forward to your feedback and advice!

We struggled to find the perfect size with screens that could open also. I have seen coops with nice windows that did not come with screens, where they put mesh around windows, so it can be open, but still is critter safe. We found Treehouse Supply was our best bet for getting ones just right. But, I am not sure they have the kind you mentioned. They have something like that at Home Depot, but it might be too big, kinda matters what you need. Here is the Home Depot link. Good luck!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-W...UOSFKRpFvqmSWjTid-BoCVlMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We struggled to find the perfect size with screens that could open also. I have seen coops with nice windows that did not come with screens, where they put mesh around windows, so it can be open, but still is critter safe. We found Treehouse Supply was our best bet for getting ones just right. But, I am not sure they have the kind you mentioned. They have something like that at Home Depot, but it might be too big, kinda matters what you need. Here is the Home Depot link. Good luck!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-W...UOSFKRpFvqmSWjTid-BoCVlMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yes I saw those. Does anyone know if the screens in standard windows are predator proof enough or would we need to add a layer or hardware cloth?

Does anyone know if the screens in standard windows are predator proof enough or would we need to add a layer or hardware cloth?
Not even a little predator proof.

I just got some old windows, framed out my rough opening for 1/8-1/4" gap all the way around, installed hinges at the top and a hook on the bottom and suspend them open on a chain however far I want them open. There is heavily stapled 1/2" hardware cloth attached to the inside and I open and close the windows from the outside. I really only have to adjust them 3 to 4 times a year. When I want them fully closed so the wind can't blow them open allowing a breeze across the roost area, I secure them with a barrel bolt.
windows open.jpg

I'm running into the same problem myself and ended up revising my design accordingly. Everything at Lowes and Home Depot is too big and most of the websites selling shed/coop windows are out of stock so I bought 2 from treehouse supply that only have standard screens so I plan to reinforce the inside with hardware cloth.

We built frames out of scraps of wood to screw the hardware cloth to; they stay in all the time. For winter, I set old windows (that are almost big enough) into the opening and tack a couple of nails into the sides to hold them in.

Back
Top Bottom