Coop without run

bluetrain

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Western NC
Do you HAVE to have a run for the chickens? The family that gave us our chicks built a coop that is 8x8x8 and all the hens stay inside the coop. I am planning on copying his design, it is pretty simple but seems to work very well.....but without a run.....am I going to be ok to basically copy his design or should there be a run?

Quote:
Sorry, didn't give details.....it is a 3 walled (sides and back), floored and ceiling...the 4th wall is open, covered by hardware cloth and door.....so one whole side is open and will be facing east in my yard.

i know some people around here that have coops like you're talking about. it will work but i wouldnt have more than a few chickens in there since basically your coop & run are 64 sqft combined.

It's really a personal decision. My coop is 8x8 but I wouldn't consider leaving them in there 24/7. Mine would be overcrowded because of the number I have. If you only have a few hens and they each have plenty of room, it would be OK....but they really do love to run around outside.

You can easily put up a fence around the coop to let them run, and then lock them up at night.. How many chickens are you planning on putting in it?

So I could modify my design and add a run to it.....I will think/look into it...I was going to purchase all my materials this weekend and hopefully start construction next week.
Thanks for all the input.

Quote:
Well they gave us 16 chicks.....not knowing how many hens yet....and all seem to be doing well at the moment.

oo 8x8x8 for 16 chickens? you do know they get big right :}

Just playing~ I think a run would be a good idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom