Coop works great, changed the wire cloth for steel mesh

I don't use one unless it's below zero and windy. They snuggle up if they're cold.
I have a 10x10x8' coop which I hang my heat lamp in. It's connected to one of the rafters by a big eyeball, a heavy adjustable chain and two big hooks onto the lamp. I have a wire cage over it. I never lower it more than 5' above the floor. It will keep the coop 5 to 19° warmer than without it.
I used to have 10 hens but now I'm down to 5 so I may use it more often.
With the 2x4 roosts, they can keep their toes covered and don't get frostbite on them. I know people that have had chickens loose a toe to frostbite.
My coop is enclosed in my wooden pole barn so it's 75% out of the wind.
I dont understand what do you mean “With the 2x4 roosts, they can keep their toes covered” ? My branches varies from 3” to 4” wide. So my coop is covered except the 50% of the floor. I cant use the lamp there. When you say bellow zero is that Fahrenheits?

I dont understand what do you mean “With the 2x4 roosts, they can keep their toes covered” ? My branches varies from 3” to 4” wide. So my coop is covered except the 50% of the floor. I cant use the lamp there. When you say bellow zero is that Fahrenheits?
Yes, Fahrenheit. I have read over and over that a flat 2"x4" gives them a flat surface for their flat feet and allows their feathers to be covered completely in cold weather. A round roost puts more pressure on the center of their foot, which may irritate the joint in time.
If it doesn't get that cold where you live, then I wouldn't worry about frostbite.

Oh I got you, ok…my perching branches are not round, I split in half over 6” branch and trimmed the edges and smoothed them, it has very slight curb. The round one is in 45° angle to walk up only. The picture showed it weird, I am attaching better one now.

Attachments

• IMG_4636.jpeg
    IMG_4636.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 4
Oh I got you, ok…my perching branches are not round, I split in half over 6” branch and trimmed the edges and smoothed them, it has very slight curb. The round one is in 45° angle to walk up only. The picture showed it weird, I am attaching better one now.
I see now. Very nice🙂

Back
Top Bottom