Coop works great, changed the wire cloth for steel mesh

Dita Orlik

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
Coop works great, I changed the wire cloth for 1”x1”steel wire mesh and 1”x1/2”flattened expanded sheet (would be better 1.5”x1”) but the sturdy steel wire mesh is perfect. All my chickens are doing great, go to sleep to the coop all of them without any supervision and they have hundreds of trees to sleep on if they wanted to. Four of them started to lay eggs in the outside box about three weeks ago, the rest of them in the buckets on screws to my house, and occasionally in the woods. All on the free will and now it takes three minutes and 25 seconds to clean the coop and if I don't clean it in two days it looks just like it was just after one night. All the poop eventually just falls through sooner or later. I moved perching branches that they poop directly on the steel wire mesh and not on two by four. When was freezing (26F) the steel mesh was not frozen yet, I worried that their feet would freeze to it. I have a material to cover just the wire before the winter to make it not freeze. Anyway, it really works and they love it and it is really safe. I can leave for three days and come back and they all happy, safe, clean and free! 6 1/2 months already …that's more than luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5199 2.jpeg
    IMG_5199 2.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5200 2.jpeg
    IMG_5200 2.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5201 2.jpeg
    IMG_5201 2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5194.jpeg
    IMG_5194.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 33
1”x1/2”flattened expanded sheet
Good that it's flattened, less sharpness on the surface, but the diamond holes might still be sharp on edges and could be a toe cutter.
Not good for them to walk on metal in freeing temps, might want to put down boards except for directly under the roosts.
Curious where does the poop fall thru too?

Good that it's flattened, less sharpness on the surface, but the diamond holes might still be sharp on edges and could be a toe cutter.
Not good for them to walk on metal in freeing temps, might want to put down boards except for directly under the roosts.
Curious where does the poop fall thru too?
Hello. They only sleep there perching on the branches, and go there couple of times a day to eat for couple of minutes (feed and water is on the plywood, so they stand on plywood). The perching branches are above the wire mesh situated that poop fall on and through it. The coop is 5 feet above the ground with automatic door. They have no problem with their feet what so ever walking approximately 20 steps a day on it because it is very small. The coop does not smell at all either. I was concerned about freezing temperatures, but I already have a waterproof sheeting I will cover the mesh with leaving the holes the same size. Thanks for the input!!

Hello. They only sleep there perching on the branches, and go there couple of times a day to eat for couple of minutes (feed and water is on the plywood, so they stand on plywood). The perching branches are above the wire mesh situated that poop fall on and through it. The coop is 5 feet above the ground with automatic door. They have no problem with their feet what so ever walking approximately 20 steps a day on it because it is very small. The coop does not smell at all either. I was concerned about freezing temperatures, but I already have a waterproof sheeting I will cover the mesh with leaving the holes the same size. Thanks for the input!!
If you lay down a sheet of linoleum, or something similar,on your wooden floor, it will keep odors and wetness from seeping into the floor.
Are your 2x4 roosts flat side up? That allows them to cover their toes 100% in cold temperatures.

If you lay down a sheet of linoleum, or something similar,on your wooden floor, it will keep odors and wetness from seeping into the floor.
Are your 2x4 roosts flat side up? That allows them to cover their toes 100% in cold temperatures.
The coop is 4.3”x6.4” inside including 4 corner boxes. Chickens do not stand or sit on the floor, only to eat, drink or go out or in. It is 5 feet above the ground and it is for sleeping only. So they poop through the metal when they perch/sleep 2 feet above it.

Attachments

• IMG_5005.jpeg
    IMG_5005.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4635.jpeg
    IMG_4635.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 23
I see you have branches for roosts. I used to use those until my older hens developed a bit if arthritis in their feet. My vet said it was from round roosts
In the wild they use those but usually don't live long enough for arthritic feet.
Just a heads up.

I see you have branches for roosts. I used to use those until my older hens developed a bit if arthritis in their feet. My vet said it was from round roosts
In the wild they use those but usually don't live long enough for arthritic feet.
Just a heads up.
Actually they live longer in the wild despite the predators. The branches are better because they don't have to stand on the same shaped spot. Therefore, the vet was wrong. Besides, if my chickens don't like it, they can sleep on the trees. They're completely free to do whatever they want. I truly believe the chickens to know better what is good for them and if they have the freedom and space we can learn from them whats good. I appreciate your input!

Actually they live longer in the wild despite the predators. The branches are better because they don't have to stand on the same shaped spot. Therefore, the vet was wrong. Besides, if my chickens don't like it, they can sleep on the trees. They're completely free to do whatever they want. I truly believe the chickens to know better what is good for them and if they have the freedom and space we can learn from them whats good. I appreciate your input!
Ok. But since I put the 2x4's in their coop, (10 years ago) there has been no more old hens with sore feet.
JMO.

Ok. But since I put the 2x4's in their coop, (10 years ago) there has been no more old hens with sore feet.
JMO.
It could have been combination of things. My chickens switch the spots. I would not want to sit on 2 x 4 that's for sure. What kind of heater do you use please when it gets cold in Michigan for chickens?

It could have been combination of things. My chickens switch the spots. I would not want to sit on 2 x 4 that's for sure. What kind of heater do you use please when it gets cold in Michigan for chickens?
I don't use one unless it's below zero and windy. They snuggle up if they're cold.
I have a 10x10x8' coop which I hang my heat lamp in. It's connected to one of the rafters by a big eyeball, a heavy adjustable chain and two big hooks onto the lamp. I have a wire cage over it. I never lower it more than 5' above the floor. It will keep the coop 5 to 19° warmer than without it.
I used to have 10 hens but now I'm down to 5 so I may use it more often.
With the 2x4 roosts, they can keep their toes covered and don't get frostbite on them. I know people that have had chickens loose a toe to frostbite.
My coop is enclosed in my wooden pole barn so it's 75% out of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom