In process coop build, would love metal roofing advice.

Vampire Gardener

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
I live in Waxhaw, NC which gets stupid humid in the summer with mild winters. I am building my big coop currently while my little girls are in a temporary structure.

My coop is mobile because of setback restrictions which would have required the coop to be about 2 feet from my pool. LOL.

I bought a used trailer that has a 4' x 8' base. I put down wood to frame the floor, added wire mesh and put a plywood base on top. The lean to is 7' tall on the people door side and 5' tall on the chicken door side. I added two wall jut outs on the 4' sides over the trailer tires. One side has a long roosting bar with two slide out poop trays for cleaning. The other side has an isolation area, 2 nesting boxes and cabinet storage above.

I added two wall vents on opposite ends over the doors. I also will have roof openings covered by wire mesh and I am in process of creating a dutch door where the top piece can be solid in the winter and wire mesh in the summer for added ventilation.

My question is about metal roofing which I have never done before. I put up 2 x 4s and topped it with plywood. But now, I'm rethinking the plywood because I need additional boards every two feet to screw to the metal. I thought the plywood would make it less noisy for the birds, but I'm worried about trapping moisture and creating mold areas. So, I am wondering if I should just attach the 2' pieces inside the coop under the plywood to screw the metal roofing into OR if I should remove the plywood and put the 2' pieces on top of the current boards. I had planned to do underlayment and then attach the metal.

I can reuse the plywood, I still have my poop boards to make so I'm not concerned with removing the plywood if people think that is the smartest call.

Would love suggestions. I've attached a few pictures from my work in progress.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 417
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7533.jpg
    IMG_7533.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7759.jpg
    IMG_7759.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7761.jpg
    IMG_7761.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7760.jpg
    IMG_7760.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7813.jpg
    IMG_7813.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7816.jpg
    IMG_7816.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7820.jpg
    IMG_7820.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7830.jpg
    IMG_7830.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7837.jpg
    IMG_7837.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7839.jpg
    IMG_7839.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 37
I live in Waxhaw, NC which gets stupid humid in the summer with mild winters. I am building my big coop currently while my little girls are in a temporary structure.

My coop is mobile because of setback restrictions which would have required the coop to be about 2 feet from my pool. LOL.

I bought a used trailer that has a 4' x 8' base. I put down wood to frame the floor, added wire mesh and put a plywood base on top. The lean to is 7' tall on the people door side and 5' tall on the chicken door side. I added two wall jut outs on the 4' sides over the trailer tires. One side has a long roosting bar with two slide out poop trays for cleaning. The other side has an isolation area, 2 nesting boxes and cabinet storage above.

I added two wall vents on opposite ends over the doors. I also will have roof openings covered by wire mesh and I am in process of creating a dutch door where the top piece can be solid in the winter and wire mesh in the summer for added ventilation.

My question is about metal roofing which I have never done before. I put up 2 x 4s and topped it with plywood. But now, I'm rethinking the plywood because I need additional boards every two feet to screw to the metal. I thought the plywood would make it less noisy for the birds, but I'm worried about trapping moisture and creating mold areas. So, I am wondering if I should just attach the 2' pieces inside the coop under the plywood to screw the metal roofing into OR if I should remove the plywood and put the 2' pieces on top of the current boards. I had planned to do underlayment and then attach the metal.

I can reuse the plywood, I still have my poop boards to make so I'm not concerned with removing the plywood if people think that is the smartest call.

Thanks!
Your build looks fantastic.

I say take the plywood off and repurpose it for the poop boards or whatnot. Then add a furring strip/2x2s to the top of the rafters. Attach the metal roofing to that. Your coop doesn’t have to meet hurricane code. If you’d feel more comfortable you could always add 2x4s perpendicular to the rafters and add screws there. You have a fair amount of ventilation, but a little more venting at the peak never hurts.

Nice build!
If If your studs are close enough together, you can likely attach the metal directly to them. You could also paint the plywood that's underneath the metal sheet with two coats of exterior gloss paint.
I had planned to paint both sides of the plywood under the metal roof. My wood is 2' apart but due to the orientation of the metal panels I'd need strips going across. I guess I should have researched that part first. Thanks.

Thanks!
I am not sure how much humidity you deal with in your area, but some people experience condensation under the metal roofs which then drips into the coop. If you know anyone in your area using a metal roof for a shed or some such, ask if they experience condensation under the metal.

I am not sure how much humidity you deal with in your area, but some people experience condensation under the metal roofs which then drips into the coop. If you know anyone in your area using a metal roof for a shed or some such, ask if they experience condensation under the metal.
I don't know anyone in my area. But good thoughts to consider. That might be a reason to remove the plywood. Thanks!

Your build looks fantastic.

I say take the plywood off and repurpose it for the poop boards or whatnot. Then add a furring strip/2x2s to the top of the rafters. Attach the metal roofing to that. Your coop doesn’t have to meet hurricane code. If you’d feel more comfortable you could always add 2x4s perpendicular to the rafters and add screws there. You have a fair amount of ventilation, but a little more venting at the peak never hurts.
Thanks, I was thinking that once I completed the coop and put in my Accurite thermometer I'd know just how hot and humid it gets in there during the day and could judge whether I need more ventilation. I can easily add some more to the 8' door side, but thought I'd minimize the amount over the roost area in case we get a cold winter.

Thanks, I was thinking that once I completed the coop and put in my Accurite thermometer I'd know just how hot and humid it gets in there during the day and could judge whether I need more ventilation. I can easily add some more to the 8' door side, but thought I'd minimize the amount over the roost area in case we get a cold winter.
Sounds like you’ve got the right idea.

Never knew a coop to have too much ventilation. Just avoid drafts and crosswinds across the roost. Ventilation at the peak shouldn’t cause that problem.

Back
Top Bottom