Metal run questions

groupps

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
I’ve been looking on line about those metal runs from Amazon and I have a few questions. My husband bought my son and I a 10x10 metal run with the triangular roof line. I plan on using something besides the chicken wire and doing an apron. Chickens are locked up at night in coop. We live in town and there are a couple pits bulls that frequently get out and have been sniffing around our little coop/run in the past week. These dogs have killed some free range chickens that were just outside the city limits.

My biggest fear would be a loose dog during the day when I’m at work. Trying to decide if I should use something heavier like a cattle panel or 1x2 inch wire for strength then put 1/2 inch wire over the top. Thoughts?

Also suggestions how how to brace it up so I don’t have it collapse under wt of snow. My husband has a bad back and doesn’t want anything to do with chickens, so it will be just my 14 yo son and me, so dummy things down for me.

Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about the metal tube "carport" type chicken runs with a tarp roof? I don't have real winters with snow but from what I've seen, the pitched roofs on those carport style runs seem to shed the snow with a tarp covering as long as the roof was fenced with wire underneath the tarp, so it doesn't sag where it lacks support poles. Have also seen people add wood rafters and more columns to those pole structures, but at that point you might as well have just built the whole base structure out of wood from the beginning.

For dogs and larger animals, I'd want something strong backing up the hardware cloth - such as chain link, welded wire fencing, or heavy gauge woven wire fencing. Is there no property fence to keep these stray dogs from being on premises? Sounds like some phone calls to Animal Control are necessary - it was free range chickens that time, next time might be someone's kid

Back
Top Bottom