Attaching Hardware Cloth to Run

We used zip ties to attach the HC over 3 years ago. No regrets. We're adding an addition right now to enlarge the chickens 'play' area. Zip ties here as well, with the HC extending about two feet in an apron around the perimeter to prevent digging. Has worked very well so far.

I used chain link fencing over the top of the run and on the bottom so raccoons and other diggers could not get in. Has worked great. Used zip ties to secure.

Zip ties, galvanized steel wire or hog rings.Personally I've used all three depending on what I had available and how much wire I was attaching.I used hog rings and bands years ago when I made some cat tunnels and never used them again.There were difficult and time consuming because I didn't have the correct clamping tool.
Depends on your climate, but zip ties become brittle and fall apart in the desert heat. Baling wire or tie wire is probably the most secure fastener. Have never used hog rings in this application.

Depends on your climate, but zip ties become brittle and fall apart in the desert heat. Baling wire or tie wire is probably the most secure fastener. Have never used hog rings in this application.
The plastic zip ties and hog rings work great in outdoor cat recreation cages- tunnels -and catio's .They also make a permanent zip tie thats metal some are even reusable. On my coop I added a layer wire fencing over top of my hardware cloth .This makes it stronger and harder for predators to tear the hardware cloth loose .I secured it all with metal and wood strips on the edges using galvanized screws and washers. I even have metal bars over the windows of my coop lol

Here is a photo of our setup. It is two chain link dog kennels joined together. We attached hardware cloth over the chain link using hog nose pliers/rings. We extended the HWC apron out 24" from the bottom of the run and covered the ceiling with HWC before the tin roof was added. Probably overkill, but I'm in my 70's and I don't think I will be able to build this again. The PVC trellis was added for shade since the coop entrance faces south east and the morning sun can be brutal here in Florida.
1699559633914.png

Here is a photo of the south side of the coop. The PVS trellis gives the chooks a sense of security while they are roosting.
1699559941651.png

Photo below added for cuteness.
1699560031228.png

Hi everyone! My run is made out of an outdoor dog kennel with the kind of fencing pictured below. I just ordered a bunch of hardware cloth to make it more secure. My question is, what is the best way to attach the hardware cloth to the fence? Tying with metal wire? Hog ties? I’m open to anything lol. Thanks!View attachment 3675030
Hi everyone! My run is made out of an outdoor dog kennel with the kind of fencing pictured below. I just ordered a bunch of hardware cloth to make it more secure. My question is, what is the best way to attach the hardware cloth to the fence? Tying with metal wire? Hog ties? I’m open to anything lol. Thanks!View attachment 3675030
we have those as well. To make them safer we used the plastic fencing rolls and plastic wire ties. Both at menards. Have had no problems or injuries. Good luck! Debbie c

Do not forget to line the bottom of your dog pen with chicken wire or hardware cloth. I did not at first and my hens would come out in the dark and sit right by the fence. More than once I had a coon reach through and pull the hen through the hole and eat it little by little and when it was over the carcass and the majority of the hen were still on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom