coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickypuneet, Jan 24, 2017.

1. chickypuneet

chickypuneet Just Hatched

Jan 23, 2017
    I need a easily cleanable wooden coop, please share your photos and ideas

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy chickpuneet Welcome to BYC!

There are some good coop ideas here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here

There are a lot of factors that go into making a decision on the type of coop you build [or buy] but the main three are number of chickens, predator risk and climate. Also, will the chickens be free ranging or will they need a run? Again, run size depends on the number of chickens and whether they will free range, but the bigger the better.

We live in suburban Aus where I have a low predator risk, a hot climate and only 5 bantam chickens that free range all day.

With our climate the girls only go into the coop to lay and roost and do not spend days on end in the coop snowed in.

We opted for a high set coop with a slatted timber floor which slides out for easy cleaning and with the floor out, allows you to duck under and into the coop. Plus the run is covered because of our sub tropical torrential rain and storms.

But, as mentioned, this suits our chicken numbers and our climate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome!

My hubby made one that I could walk into. It isn't a large coop, it's 10 ft. tall so I can get around and clean easily. 8 ft long..and only 6 ft. wide..enough space for the amount of chickens I have. I have another that isn't big or walk in size. But he made a nice big opening on one side for us to be able to get into with something to clean it.

4. chickypuneet

chickypuneet Just Hatched

Jan 23, 2017
    Please show some more suggestions

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Check out the link that Teila gave you

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

People make coops all sorts of ways with a lot of different materials...everything from fancy McMansion coops to recycled pallet coops. Spend some time looking over the links Teila has given you, I'm sure you'll be able to get some good ideas from all those.

Good luck!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. Good luck with your build! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

9. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I spent months looking at the coops on here before started building mine, click the coops tab at the top there are 1000's of coops to see.

Welcome and good luck

Gary from Idyllwild ca here

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Good luck with your coop construction and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by