Coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momlife+chicks, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I need to get a coop for my new chicks once they get bigger. I have 4 chicks. Would this be a good choice?

Attached Files:

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    i NEVER recommend pre-fab chicken coops for chickens, they are WAY TOO SMALL! they also are insanely expensive, building if possible is ALWAYS a better option!! what kind of chicks did you get?? i cant wait to get some of my own!!!:love

3. Ellington64

Ellington64 In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    I’ve only had hens for a year. Just started hatching chicks but I think that coop is a good set up. Is has all the gadgets to make it easy to clean and gather your eggs.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  4. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I got 4 isa Browns. What kind of wood should I get to build and where do I even start? Lol.

Attached Files:

5. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    The pre-made coops are never as high quality as something you can build yourself. I saw that coop in person and it was weak, squeaky, and very small. It would only comfortably fit 2 chickens. I've seen coops like mine for over a thousand dollars, when we only used about 500 on mine.

But if it's the only way you can get a coop, I guess it would be pretty good.

KDMdesigns and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  6. Ellington64

Mar 20, 2018
    It would be okay if you free range and they go in it at night. That’s what mine do but we have lots of land for them to scratch around on. It would be small if they are kept up all the time.

7. Ellington64

Mar 20, 2018
    You could still build a style like that which would be more sturdy. I built mine after looking at all the different ones out there. It gave me some great ideas.

8. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I’ll show some I like to my husband and a few of his friends. They are always in the garage building speaker boxes, so why not give them a new job to build a coop!

9. Ellington64

Mar 20, 2018
    I have 4 hens that lay everyday and they all lay in the same nest box so don’t think they each need one for themselves. Lol. I built 4 and I should have just built 2. But I have room to add more now that I’ve got new baby chicks hatching.

Cryss and Chasingcars like this.
  10. edmick

edmick Chirping

Feb 10, 2016
    southern california
    I bought one almost identical to that one and sold it before I ever even put my birds in it. It was too small and not very durable. I put the money towards making my own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: