Coop

chickenluvr9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Small Kansas Farm ^.^
Hello all! I have a question concerning my coop! I'm new to the life of chickens, but I was wondering, shouldn't there be a site of warmth? Maybe a heater installed in the coop? I don't want my little guys and gals freezin!

Hello! Grown chickens don't need warmth in the winter, they keep themselves warm just fine. I live in Vermont, and my birds never have heat over the winter. Heat lamps and heaters actually create a huge fire hazard, and coops burn down every year because of them. They also can cause the birds to die - if they aren't acclimated to the outside temperatures, and they won't be with a heat lamp, if it blows or the power goes out, the sudden drop in temperature can actually kill them.

Oh gosh! Thank you so much for enlightening me here, I had no idea these possible dangers! Have nice week!!

Hello! Grown chickens don't need warmth in the winter, they keep themselves warm just fine. I live in Vermont, and my birds never have heat over the winter. Heat lamps and heaters actually create a huge fire hazard, and coops burn down every year because of them. They also can cause the birds to die - if they aren't acclimated to the outside temperatures, and they won't be with a heat lamp, if it blows or the power goes out, the sudden drop in temperature can actually kill them.
Thanks

Chickens generally can withstand cold much better than hot temps. You don't put very young chicks outside in bad weather but, the adults will be fine in a draft free, well ventilated coop. The risk of fires from heat lamps, heaters combined with chicken litter/ shavings or straw is much worse than them being in colder temps. Please check out the coops section for advice.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on the two above posters.

Straw is a wonderful insulator. Proper ventilation is also required.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Birds are very good at keeping themselves warm. As long as the coop is draft free and you have sufficient bedding, they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom