Coopers Hawk I Think

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This evening as I tended fence an Accipiter sp. that appeared to be a large Coopers Hawk flew past and landed in some Silver Poplars behind the barn. The hawk was about 15 feet in and 25 feet up and did not flush when I got there a few minutes later. The chickens in the barn could see the hawk and none sought cover. All stood up cackling holding tails up vertically and fanned while neck was held erect with hackles held tight. The hawk remained in place even as dog and I tried to get a better view. I hope it is just a larger Coopers. It was a bit on the biggish side so could be someone I seldom see that would be a tougher customer than a Coopers going after juveniles. When hawk left a couple songbirds among trees immediately began singing.

Do Coopers eat chickens? Or are they too small? Lots of Coopers Hawks where I live!
Coopers Hawks can eat chickens. In my setting they go mostly after juveniles weighing less than about 2 lbs with vast majority targeted less than a lb.

Hawk in question looked a little big and suety for even a larger female Coopers Hawk. Almost Red-tailed hawk in size.

I'm here in Portland, Oregon and we have all kinds of hawks and falcons in the city. Coopers love to sit on my fence--and that started way before I had chickens! Red-tails here, too, amongst many others. I just got Bantam chicks in July and have been free-ranging them when I am home in my side yard that has a tall fence. So far the hawks have only visited when the chicks weren't free ranging, thank goodness! There was a Coopers Hawk just today on the fence! And sadly now at eleven weeks, the chicks easily fly to the top of the six foot fence so I have stopped the free ranging. Does anyone know how to make bird netting look nice? I think that's the next step!

Falconer here, without a pic it's hard to say. But if you're describing a large raptor that didn't flush when you were nearby, it was probably a red-tail. You said accipiter and you keep chickens so you're probably more familiar with raptors than the general public, so it's also possible you saw a large female coops. Just figured I'd throw out the possibility of red-tail.

Back
Top Bottom