Coops and walnut trees

kiwilady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
Our chicken coop is next to our large walnut tree. We want to extend the coop to include the tree. The plan is to cut off all the greenery inside the coop, leaving the lower branches for roosts, and covering the wire on the top of the coop with shade cloth to stop the walnuts and leaves falling into the coop as we understand these are toxic. Is it safe for our chooks to scratch in the earth at the base of the tree? Anyone with any ideas?

Black walnuts? They put out a poison that prevents much of anything from growing below them, even for some years after they are cut down -- voice of experience I don't know how toxic the living tree itself is.

Our chicken coop is next to our large walnut tree. We want to extend the coop to include the tree. The plan is to cut off all the greenery inside the coop, leaving the lower branches for roosts, and covering the wire on the top of the coop with shade cloth to stop the walnuts and leaves falling into the coop as we understand these are toxic. Is it safe for our chooks to scratch in the earth at the base of the tree? Anyone with any ideas?

Black walnut is toxic to horses, not sure about chickens though. Might want to google it and see.

I've got a woods full of hickory nuts. Internet search say Walnuts and Hickories are OK. Look towards the bottom of this article under "Miscellaneous": http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-pick-treats-for-chickens.html

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, and I have read the info in the link you provided. My chooks have been around the tree for some time and have no interest in either the nuts or leaves apparently but I guess I was concerned about them grubbing around in the ground around the tree since apparently nothing grows around it because of the toxins it puts out. Having said that if there is an adverse effect at all we can fence the tree off again, so maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill. My husband has a Plan (which usually means building extra bits, lol) so we'll see how it goes!

Thank you to those who posted ...have reached the conclusion that the trees are English Walnut so panic over! lol

Back
Top Bottom