Coops built on trailers or Wagons....Whose got'em? I wanna see them

WagarFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Nashville, IN
Ok all,

I just purchased an old farm wagon (previously used for hay) for which I plan to build my new mobile coop on. The trailer currently measures 6.5 ft by 10.5 ft, however based upon the final coop design it will eventually measure 8 ft by 16 ft and about 8 ft tall in the middle 6 ft tall on the sides.

So my question is this.... I plan to photograph this along the way and post it here, but before I do, I would like to know if anyone here has attempted the same or similar coop construction, if so... Post pics!!

Hope to see your designs soon!!

WagarFamilyFarm

Thank You so much you just gave me a great Idea for making the coop I am getting on Monday Mobile like I wanted it to. I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Henry

Been done for years. Was popular in the range rearing days of the early 20th century. These were what you would call range shelters with wheels.
It is an excellent way tp pred proof a coop and offers a nice shaded place for the hens to be fed and watered - under the coop! With a wire mesh floor, it lets you move the manure where you want it, without having to tote it; thus a labor saving plan.

One drawback might be that they tend to be low and not really a place you can stand in and work. They dont HAVE to be, but they will be tippy if you build them tall.

I dont have a coop that is wheeled, in the sense you mean. It is mobile, the wheels dismounting between relocations. Heres a pic:
DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

Add traditional 8" wheels and it would be more like what you want. Im considering permanently attaching the wheels, on levered mounts.

Heres a nice one, right here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3005-Coop_Page

Imagine this one sized for your wagon with opening side panels and doors for clear, all-around access. Near perfect!

There was a great photo of exactly what you seek in Sunday's paper (Bowling Green KY Daily News). Article by Susan Smith-Durisek from McClatchey Newspapers. Article was about poultry in Lexington Kentucky. Hope your search reveals the photos accompanying the article. Looked quite good to me.

Although I had a simular idea of making my own wagon from the mobile home frame I haven,t gotten that far yet.

I have come up with a couple of substitutes until I get more time.

100_1486_chevy_coop_1.jpg

I still have to get the front end removed and a tung mounted for a hitch. the back window glass has been removed so we can put some ventilation in.

100_1527_rafters.jpg

It further along now then what in the picture. it's only 4 x 8 foot

We are starting are trailer chicken house today
wee.gif
. It is big and already has high wooden sides. Hubby and friend are putting a house style metal roof on. I am actually putting turkeys in it then in the fall I will add nesting boxes (hopefully the ones I can open lid from outside to get eggs). I want to make or buy a couple small windows, and add a chicken door and ramp. I am going to take pics and post as we go. we used this to get cordwood but now we just have a cherry picker of log length delivered so I get a coop.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom