coops built out of cedar.

70monte

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Aurora, MO
Hi,
I have read that cedar is not good for chickens. Their is a guy on the local CL that is selling coops made out of cedar. His prices seem pretty good and the coops look like they are well made. Has anyone used a coop made out of cedar and if so did it have any ill affect on the chickens? here is a link to one of his coops.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/1522549652.html

Here is the other one. I think he sells this one for around $750
http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/1486053027.html

Wayne

Last edited:
The oil from the cedar and the strong smell irritates chickens lungs. Since they are prone to respiratory illness, that's not good. The guy probably doesn't even know that. We used cedar bedding, because it was on sale, in a coop and got a sick banty out of the deal.

The small amount of cedar odor given off by Cedar Planks should not be minimal, the problem with using shavings is that it gives off lots of irritants(odor/oils). The amount of oils released is dependant on surface area, and freshness, once some dust has settled on the surfaces you will get almost no smell without scratching the surface. A small bag of cedar shavings will let off many times more than your whole shed expecially if it has aged at all. Price sounds good too.
thumbsup.gif

I agree that planks should be fine.

A cedar chest is a small enclosure and when you open it, the odor is very distinct. Now go into a cedar paneled closet and you don't notice the odor because it gets opened and shut all the time.

A coop should be vented well, so the little bit of cedar odor given off should go up and away from the birds.

I wonder if those who find the "deal of the century" on cedar shavings were to open up the bag and air it out for a couple weeks would have any issues?

Good luck on your purchase.

Hmmm....never thought of it like this. That's cool! Learn something new every day! I may look into a cedar coop in the future now that I know
smile.png

Quote:
Well, my thoughts are all based on woodworking experience and theory. Once I get some federal funding from the stimulus package, and 5 years of testing and documentation, I will post my findings for the world to see
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom