Coops... How does anyone manage?

I just built big to start with. My standard laying/breeding flock is one rooster and 7 hens in an 8' x 12' coop and 12' x 32' run, but they free range most of the time. I currently have 29 chickens of various ages, mostly too young to eat right now. I eat them as I go along. I'll be back down to my standard laying/breeding flock next spring but probably not before I hatch some more. It's a never-ending cycle.

Spring Summer Fall we use these on Electronet protected pasture. We build additional ones every year.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/4hpoultry/t02_pageview/Hoop_House.htm

We have many more birds over the snow-free months, growing out young ones, pens of broilers and keeping old hens through a moult to see if they will return to laying or not. Clean up is easy, slide the hut to a new spot, even occassionally move the fence to a new area.

During winter they have to go into winter quarters in an insulated room in the pole shed. That space defines the size of flock I can over-winter. So I have a big cull in the fall.
hit.gif
and fill the freezer with surplus chicken
droolin.gif

I know, this plan is not for everyone. But if you do not enforce a limit somehow, won't you end up a crazy chicken collector? I know I have to watch that tendency in myself!
D.gif

Quote:
Oh, that's a BIG 10-4! Maaaaaan! If I could have seen back then that I'd get so attached to SO many chickens, and addicted to hatching, I would have started with a big, ol' shed coop... or two.

On the other hand, the Chicken Compound does make for an interesting back yard.
ep.gif
Rather an "eclectic" look, one might say.

...or not....

gig.gif
chicken compound.....heheee

JoeBryant - love the profile pic Rober-- 'er uh, Joe. As a potential addict I'm with Joe. I'm maybe taking somebody's rooster for the stew pot in order to see if I am going to have 4 pets - or the first 4 chickens of many.

Maybe this could be the next show on TLC - hen hoarders
smile.png
(buried in chicken poop alive)

All I know is, after 5 days with chickens, I'm very glad I just have three. (this is my bird phobia speaking)

I'm sure with time things will seem a lot more natural.

Quote:
I like this coop for summer growing out pens, but how do you protect the birds from wind and rain?

Thanks,

Becky

I think most people put tarps across them- but I just read Pat said that snow will bring it down if you have a tarp. Try looking under coop designs to see pics?

Back
Top Bottom