Coops on stilts ?

All of the reasons above, Plus I don't have a real run, So for days I wont be around I can let them under the coop so they get some fresh air, and dust baths, On other days mine will free range.

I LOVE my raised coop and HATE my walk in coop!...I do not like being in the coop shoveling all the litter up...It is so hard on my back and lungs (should wear a mask)!...I can clean my raised coop in a jiffy...Just scoot the wheelbarrow under the doors in the back and use the hoe to pull it all out...Less than a half hour and it is clean and full of new litter...I made mine about 4 x 8 and the whole back has two doors that open up...So easy!...

I will be putting mine on stilts for sure! we have rat snakes and skunks both like chicks and eggs. but i will also be burying my 1/2 inch wire mesh into the ground 2' down, to prevent any diggers!

I live on the Shenendoah Mt so my acre of land has very little level areas.

Here it is in its current state, since i just moved into this house the 1st of this month and didnt get alot of time yet, but all the walls should be up today. I am going 1 more pallet high all the way around. it will be about 8' by 6.5' and 6.5' tall from floor to ceiling.

I will be putting mine on stilts for sure! we have rat snakes and skunks both like chicks and eggs. but i will also be burying my 1/2 inch wire mesh into the ground 2' down, to prevent any diggers!

I just lay 3 foot welded wire on the ground. 2 feet outside the run, 1 foot inside. Most animals will try to dig right at the fence. They hit the welded wire get frustrated and head else where. Also, when the girls dig their dust baths they don't undermine the fence. The grass grows up around it and you don't see it. Lawnmower runs right over it with no issues. Weedeater can have some issues if you're not careful. Of course the chicken are better weed eaters.

Last edited:
Why go up another level of pallets, just throw something on there for roof support, the birds don't need that much head room. Hinge acouple of the pallets for access on the sides, and you're ready for the chicks.

... for some reason under the coop is cooler in the summer for the chickens to chill under.

I don't have chickens or a coop yet, but I wonder if your coop is cooler because of airflow underneath. How is it in wintertime, or do you add bales of straw under or something similar to keep drafts from cooling the run and the building?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom