coops

ajcb42

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
ct
Does anyone have any pics of their coops to post. I tried to build my own but found out I am not that creative. I was thinking of getting a kit but after reviews Ive read I[m nut sure they are safe from preditors if anyone has a kit that has work out fine please let me know. Thanks

Hi ajcb42,

I ordered our coop from Hayneedle.com. Here is a picture: I have 3 standard GLS's and 2 bantams, and they seem to be just fine in there at night. We did reinforce the locks though.

The little drawer under the door is the poop tray. This is our first coop and there are some things we would have
done differently, The poop drawer is not deep enough, it's only 1/2" deep, so if I just sprinkle pine shavings in
and scoop every other day. The inside is roughly 3x3' with two roosts. It's fine for 5 chickens, but I would have
built one with more space.

Here it is in its final resting place, with the fabulous protected run my husband added to it.

Thats wonderful. Its perfect. Any idea how it holds up in the winter I am in Ct and
What to make sure the girls are safe and warm

I came home to one less chicken today
sad.png
I am feeling awful I realy need to re think my coop design.

You should check out the 'Coops' tab. LOTS of great ideas there. And many with details of how they built them.

I'm sorry that you lost a chicken. It was a predator?

I think it may have been a raccoon I found her behind her behind our shed. I was out reinforcing the coop all morning.

I came home to one less chicken today
sad.png
I am feeling awful I realy need to re think my coop design.

Aww ... What a shame, poor baby. Whatever you decide for your coop, be sure you use strong 1/2 inch hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, and install it so nothing can dig under. Gotta keep the girls safe!

she is a white Plymouth rock I know have 3 and one barred rock my goal now is to keep them safe and happy
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom